Thread: Using rsync over a network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Using rsync over a network

Hi,

I'm using rsync to backup an XP pc to an ubuntu desktop. My problem is that cygwin rsync seems to cut out every 10-30 minutes. I'm not sure why, it says 'peer refused connection'. So maybe its my network being a bit of a fail.

My question is: how do I set rsync, on the ubuntu box, to do a backup every hour, of the windows pc, unless there's already one running, and if the connection fails, just to wait until it comes back?

I'm a newbie at this, so tell me what to type in steps would be very cool.

Bless,
    Chris

Beans

Re: Using rsync over a network

Howdy,

Try using the bw parameter of rsync to throttle things a bit, then it should keep going.

Beans

1. definitely sounds like your network is failing hard. are you using wireless? if so... try not using wireless.

2. try not using cygwin and rsync... there's a prepackaging of rsync server for windows that usually works a little better. Google cwrsyncserver. Find, install, configure.

3. simple shell script... name it "rsyncbackupscript.sh", for reasons that should be readily apparent:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    [ $(ps waux | grep rsyncbackupscript | grep -v grep | wc -l) -eq 0 ] && /usr/bin/rsync -har --delete your.xp.machines.ip::rsyncshare /path/to/your/backup/folder/
    Now make it executable:

Code:
    you@box:~$ sudo chmod 755 /home/you/rsyncbackupscript.sh
    Now add a crontab to run it every hour, using sudo crontab -e (to put it in root's crontab... you can leave off the sudo, if you'd rather have the process run as you). NOTE: if you don't like vi, you might want to do EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano and export EDITOR before you try doing the crontab -e!

Code:
    # m h  dom mon dow   command
      0 * * * * * /home/you/rsyncbackupscript.sh
    That oughta do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I need to get an extra box for my router. only got one ethernet port at the moment. Then I can ditch the wifi.

the shell script is to go on the ubuntu machine yeh? The cwrsyncserver can just work as a client despite the name?

Will attempt this tonight, after i've bought a ethernet box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wow, installed cwrsyncserver. its tiny!

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should /path/to/your/backup/folder/ be the path on my pc i want backed up: Ie E drive, or the place I want files saved to on the linux machine.

If the later, where do I say where I want files actually saved?

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, so i am still with cygwin, having had not much help in moving away from it.

My current code to run rsync reads
    C:\cygwin\bin\rsync.exe -qrtz --password-file=/secret > --delete "/cygdrive/e" boss@192.168.1.10::bossbackup

I am getting told that permission is being denied to E:/System Volume Information/

However, even with --exclude "/cygdrive/e/System Volume Information" I am still getting the same issues.

Any ideas?
    Chris