Thread: old laptop and GPRS Modem

Beans

old laptop and GPRS Modem

Hi, I'd like to install Ubuntu on an old Toshiba Pentium 2 128Ram

is this possible with the latest Ubuntu ? Secondly id also like to install on fairly new Desktop but I use only a GPRS Modem. Will Ubuntu recognize the modem ?

I don't know how to tell the difference between one GPRS modem and another ???? I just assume they are all very similar????

Re: old laptop and GPRS Modem

Hello,

For system requirements have a look at this page. I personally would install Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux on the system.

-Silver Fox

Beans

Slitaz would probably work rather smooth too, an old Debian (ie: etch), or Archlinux could pull miracles out of it's sleeves too.

Ubuntu can be a bit heavy on resources for old equipment. Afterall, it is a modern OS for a reason...

Beans

Im running Puppy now but I cant figure how to set up the modem.
    It does not recognize my GPRS. I was hoping Ubuntu would detect the modem being na larger distro.

Im hopeless at Linux ecept when its plug and play. Last time I mused Linux was 10 years ago roughly and was SUSE and when I installed it it recognized my printer and modem right off with no help from me and was great.

Quote Originally Posted by ibuclaw View Post
    Slitaz would probably work rather smooth too, an old Debian (ie: etch), or Archlinux could pull miracles out of it's sleeves too.
    Oh yes I forgot about that one. Definitely worth checking out, very small and tidy operating system. (Thanks Bodhi for pointing it out to me)

-Silver Fox