Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with installing: Songbird, Thunderbird and Aptana Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help with installing: Songbird, Thunderbird and Aptana Studio

First off I'd like to apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum, if it is in the wrong place would a moderator be so kind as to move it to the right place. Secondly I'm very new to Linux so my knowledge is quite limited. Now onto the problems at hand, I'll give you the versions of each program I suppose and then it might be easier to help me.

Songbird: Version = 1.4.3 | BuildID = 1438
    Thunderbird: Version = 3.0.3 | BuildID = 20100227141902
    Aptana Studio 2: Version = 2.0.4.1268158907 | BuildID = 1268158907

Right so the problem's I'm having:

Songbird: (Fixed)
    I downloaded it off the songbird website, extracted it when it finished but could not find details on how to install it. Now it does work, all i have to do is go to the containing folder and run the file labeled "songbird" it does not have a .txt or anything after its name. When I click run or run in terminal it starts up and works fine BUT it is not in the "Applications" tab.

Thunderbird: (Fixed)
    This is exactly the same as the problem I'm having with Songbird so perhaps the fix is similar?

Aptana Studio
    I downloaded this program as I was interested in polishing up my web designing skills after a quick 1 year course on it last year in school. This was the first Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 like program that I found so I thought why not. Dreamweaver 8 is what I was using in school. If you can recommend another program that'd be great but otherwise help installing would be nice. Now as I said I downloaded it. Extracted the files and looked for the README which as with another program told me how to install said program. I cant find it and none of the other files in the folder mention how to install it.

So those are my problems. If you need any more information do ask.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by sshea; March 19th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help with installing: Songbird, Thunderbird and Aptana Studio

You first download Songbird from website. The file will be a .tar.gz file I think. Right click on the file and select "Extract Here" and then it will open a dialog. A folder will now be created with the name "Songbird" go into that folder and double click on "songbird" file it will ask you "run" "display" etc, select "run".

I don't know exactly about thunderbird, but try this method with thunderbird also. But you don't need to download thunderbird from website. Open Applications > ubuntu software center and type thunderbird in search and install it ,simple.
    Last edited by mridkash; March 19th, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I do that yet it does not install. It runs fine but it doesn't actually install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

oops, I didn't read your post properly.
    So you already got Songbird working and want to install it in applications menu. Thats simple, right click on applications menu and select "Edit Menus" and then go to "Sound & Video" and click on "new item". There add the path to songbird file that you ran manually before.

Edit: You can also go to System > preferences > Main Menu to edit the menus
    Last edited by mridkash; March 19th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sshea View Post
    Songbird:
    I downloaded it off the songbird website, extracted it when it finished but could not find details on how to install it. Now it does work, all i have to do is go to the containing folder and run the file labeled "songbird" it does not have a .txt or anything after its name. When I click run or run in terminal it starts up and works fine BUT it is not in the "Applications" tab.
    Here's what I did:

1. Create a folder in your Home directory called "songbird" (capitalization is IMPORTANT... *NIX is case-sensitive)
    2. Extract the contents of the tarball into there
    3. System > Preferences > Main Menu
    4. Navigate to the "Sound and Video" section
    5. "New Item"
    6. In "Command" put: ~/songbird/songbird
    7. In "Name" put: Songbird
    8. Click on the springpad, click "Browse" and navigate to the songbird directory
    9. Click Open and select the Songbird icon. Click OK.

Thunderbird:
    This is exactly the same as the problem I'm having with Songbird so perhaps the fix is similar?
    run this in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install thunderbird
    Aptana Studio
    I downloaded this program as I was interested in polishing up my web designing skills after a quick 1 year course on it last year in school. This was the first Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 like program that I found so I thought why not. Dreamweaver 8 is what I was using in school. If you can recommend another program that'd be great but otherwise help installing would be nice. Now as I said I downloaded it. Extracted the files and looked for the README which as with another program told me how to install said program. I cant find it and none of the other files in the folder mention how to install it.
    I'm unfamiliar with this program, but I assume the method would be similar to the Songbird installation.

Beans

Hi there, trying to install songbird, I followed all the steps posted, the icon folder appeared to be empty and I ended up with the springboard on the launcher panel and "unable to launch application"
    Can anyone help me? This is my first foray into this forum so I hope I can find any answer I might receive many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

1)songbird
    You can either install from the ppa : https://launchpad.net/~songbird-daily/+archive/ppa
    Or. if you have root privelages, extract the contents of the .tar file to a folder songbird in /opt. then make a link in "/usr/bin" to the executable. Then it is easy to put in the menu. You have to just enter "songbird" instead of the path. You can also launch songbird just by typing "songbird" in the terminal.
    2)Thunderbird
    Same as songbird except that there is no good repository. The thunderbird in the repository is actually a very old version.
    There and back again...

Beans

would code: sudo apt-get install songbird work for songbird too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by LifesGod View Post
    would code: sudo apt-get install songbird work for songbird too?
    no. that command works only if songbird is in the repositories, which it isn't. but once you install the ppa above, you can do sudo apt-get install songbird
    There and back again...

Beans

thanks, but it feels a bit complicated. i usually have a friend who helps me but he's o/s for 6 months, and am usually ok with following instructions but feeling a bit lost with this one .. oh well, thanks anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast