Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm deciding my major in college/university.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm deciding my major in college/university.

Ahh. I have SO many interests, but I've decided I would rather spend most of my time doing something I love. I love working with computers. I just don't know what to major in, and don't know job offerings for each degree.
    I'm so confused, but I really need to figure this out.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, sort of in a hurry.
    Toshiba Satellite Notebook L305D - 3GB DDR2 RAM - 320GB HD - DUAL BOOT: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Re: I'm deciding my major in college/university.

Quote Originally Posted by gymophett View Post
    Ahh. I have SO many interests, but I've decided I would rather spend most of my time doing something I love. I love working with computers. I just don't know what to major in, and don't know job offerings for each degree.

Computer science?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if you are at a traditional uni, then most likely they believe that computer science is the only kind of degree in computing that exists. if thats where you are at, then programming or EE (only seperatly) are all there really is.

if you are at an more community focused college, you will likely find programs for desktop support, server administration, web design, project managment, etc.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gymophett View Post

History, Computer Science, Philosophy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been looking at Computer Science. Maybe thinking of going into software development.

I'm also thinking of going to Uni in Canada somewhere in Ontario.
    Far from home. ):
    Toshiba Satellite Notebook L305D - 3GB DDR2 RAM - 320GB HD - DUAL BOOT: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

So then you have to decide what you want to do. Computer Science is more like working with your hand (as close as you can get in computers) It covers a broad spectrum. From administration, networking, costumer support, making, and running, cable, routers, switches, bridges, brouters, and all that crap. Programing is more mathematical, and logic based. You will have a crap ton of math, and physics classes. Learn several program languages, database development. All of them use alot of the same logic, so it's more wording than anything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 on the philosophy.

It's not like you're banned from doing computer-related jobs just because you don't have a degree in it. Lots of people get hired on the merit of some work they've done, or because they are nerdy and learned C++ by themselves without going through an education.

Philosophy is awesome, you can use for pretty much everything...except getting a job No, really, unless you're gunning for teaching philosophy of course. Philosophy is more like an enzyme you can add to whatever you're doing and get something useful out of it; logic and argumentation-theory alone is a great tool, it makes you a certified ********-detector.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    So then you have to decide what you want to do. Computer Science is more like working with your hand (as close as you can get in computers) It covers a broad spectrum. From administration, networking, costumer support, making, and running, cable, routers, switches, bridges, brouters, and all that crap. Programing is more mathematical, and logic based. You will have a crap ton of math, and physics classes. Learn several program languages, database development. All of them use alot of the same logic, so it's more wording than anything else.
    interesting.

I've always found CS to be programming, and IT to be routers/servers/desktops. CS is white collar, whereas IT is becoming more and more blue collar every day. the major uni in my town (known world wide, though usually for fricken fuuball) has only one class that covers networking at all; a class on programming data link layer functions. their CS program is well respected, but is pretty much completely theoretical. to them, you are either an EE or a CS/IS person, with no understanding that there is an IT feild.

I see it this way: there are EEs who design and produce hardware, and IS folks that write drivers and apps for that hardware. these are both B-to-B industries. their customers are IT folks that want to use it to further their organisations goals. an IT persons customers are their organisations so it's a B-to-C relationship.

a wise man (Edsgar Dijkstra) once said "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes." this is very true of EE and CS/IS, but definitely not the case for IT.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take an intro to CS class. Make sure it's something with a lot of programming, hopefully in a language like C. If you enjoy it, then pursue that. If you don't, at least you know early that it's not your bag.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    interesting.

I've always found CS to be programming, and IT to be routers/servers/desktops. CS is white collar, whereas IT is becoming more and more blue collar every day. the major uni in my town (known world wide, though usually for fricken fuuball) has only one class that covers networking at all; a class on programming data link layer functions. their CS program is well respected, but is pretty much completely theoretical. to them, you are either an EE or a CS/IS person, with no understanding that there is an IT feild.

I see it this way: there are EEs who design and produce hardware, and IS folks that write drivers and apps for that hardware. these are both B-to-B industries. their customers are IT folks that want to use it to further their organisations goals. an IT persons customers are their organisations so it's a B-to-C relationship.

a wise man (Edsgar Dijkstra) once said "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes." this is very true of EE and CS/IS, but definitely not the case for IT.
    It must be different from school, to school. The bachelor program my school offers is called Information Systems Security.
    Last edited by swoll1980; March 18th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast