Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm deciding my major in college/university.

Beans

Re: I'm deciding my major in college/university.

I think that if you want a career in a computer related field, CS or EE is a good bet. It provides you with the knowledge and theoretical training that you'll need. The "practical" stuff is learned on the job.

Personally, I majored in Economics and Financial Mathematics, thinking that finance was a smart choice. However, after graduating it turns out my interests are more in CS. (as an aside, as I continue looking for a permanent job in this crappy economy, I'm testing the waters with some hobby programming. Unfortunately, most computer related jobs on the market require CS or EE degrees.)

My advice is to think carefully about what subjects you like (and what you hate). Take the introductory courses for them and figure out what you enjoyed the most before making your decision. Too many people (like me) go to university thinking they have a plan and realize that they don't really like it far too late.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    It must be different from school, to school. The bachelor program my school offers is called Information Systems Security.
    it may be more a matter of time. when I started, many colleges had not adapted yet to the computing boom of the mid->late 90's. it's also just the nature of this institution (a heavy research school) to be a bit pompous. I have also attended 2 other more local institutions that are more focused on career development, and their course material is more specific to fields and positions as yours is.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you just pursue the "hot job of the moment", you will find yourself as just one of a crowd of other people doing the same thing.

Who knows what kind of work is really going to be in demand in four years' time. You might be one of a big crowd chasing scarce jobs at that time.

Therefore, consider doing what really interests and inspires you, and take some time to determine what that is. Even if you do then end up as one of a crowd chasing the same jobs, you'll have the advantage of being interested and motivated by the work.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Philosophy for the win. It's so good, really makes you think.
    I think it complements Computer Science (and vise versa) quite well.

Would also work really well for Mathematics I think.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    it may be more a matter of time. when I started, many colleges had not adapted yet to the computing boom of the mid->late 90's. it's also just the nature of this institution (a heavy research school) to be a bit pompous. I have also attended 2 other more local institutions that are more focused on career development, and their course material is more specific to fields and positions as yours is.
    Well I'm in CS school right now and your previous statement pretty much holds for it (and I'm not that happy about it) although you can choose from 3 flavors (more math, more theoretical programming, more practical programming) 90% is still about maths and theoretical programming.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.ball
    Philosophy for the win.
    I really like philosophy too but I wouldn't have guessed it gets mentioned here The new era of cyber-philosophers approaches

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you do what you love for a living, you'll never work a day in your life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rottentree View Post
    The new era of cyber-philosophers approaches
    Hell yeah.

There are a few senior academic philosophers at my university who have come from a background in computer science, David Chalmers for instance (who was interestingly enough a PhD student under Douglas Hofstadter).

They give a sense of the influence computer science has on critical thinking; it's so grounded in logic you can't get away from cs without some interest in philosophy (Computer Science/Philosophy major here).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gymophett View Post
    I've been looking at Computer Science. Maybe thinking of going into software development.

I'm also thinking of going to Uni in Canada somewhere in Ontario.
    Far from home. ):
    If you are a female, don't go to trent. You won't find a straight male. If your a male, go to trent. Plenty of picking, aswell as a good geek squad. (I was there one day someone saw my ubuntu laptop, and we had a good two hour convo about computers. Twas awesome)
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I went with Management Information Systems. I would recommend something that will let you see the light of day. I work in an office without a window. Sunlight is far removed from most tech jobs. Do something that lets you actually experience life. If you want to code, you can learn how to code pretty much everything if you have access to Google or a similar search engine. All you will get out of school is a piece of paper and a large bill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you considered studying maths? If you like maths, it could be a good choice because:

1. It's interesting
    2. If you're good at it, you can get a good mark with minimal effort
    3. There are a number of decent career choices for mathematicians
    4. Maths and computing have a lot of overlap, so it will help your programming.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast