Thread: does anybody having a western digital harddisk experience this problem ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation does anybody having a western digital harddisk experience this problem ?

does anybody having a lenovo g550 laptop or any other laptop with western digital hard disk experience the following bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/521295
    "The box said windows xp or better so i installed Linux"
    my blog

Beans

Re: does anybody having a western digital harddisk experience this problem ?

Haven't checked with windows, but when running ubuntu 9.10 my laptops harddrive runs at an alarming 62 degrees celsius, even when ldle...

[Edit] After a bit of searching I found out that the maximum temperature its supposed to operate at is 60 degrees celsius. The disc I'm using is a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB 5400rpm. I'm afraid this is just the kind of thing that might get me to leave Ubuntu behind, even though I really like it as an OS, I just don't think I'm willing to sacrifice my HD for it...
    Last edited by Demask; March 18th, 2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: New information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: does anybody having a western digital harddisk experience this problem ?

i think i have the same model hard drive , western digital hard drives always had been problem to use with ubuntu. I too restricted my use of ubuntu until this bug is solved.

I requset you to subscribe to the bug, so that the bug gets the attention of the developers
    "The box said windows xp or better so i installed Linux"
    my blog

Beans

Re: does anybody having a western digital harddisk experience this problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by bhuvi View Post
    i think i have the same model hard drive , western digital hard drives always had been problem to use with ubuntu. I too restricted my use of ubuntu until this bug is solved.

I requset you to subscribe to the bug, so that the bug gets the attention of the developers
    I'll do that, once I've checked the idle temperature from another OS just to make sure that Ubutu is causing it.

Will, however, probably buy a new HD soon. I guess I'll avoid Western Digital for the time being. Maybe a Seagate or Hitatchi, were I am, HD's aren't that expensive...