Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favoured PDF reader?

Beans

Re: Favoured PDF reader?

Quote Originally Posted by terabyte1 View Post
    I prefer the Meercat (10,10), I've tried 11.4 and i'm not too sure I like Unity (just old-fashioned). I'll get used to it eventually. I'm also having a problem connecting to my wi-fi through this upgrade and eventually admitted defeat and re-installed my previous edition (10.10) again. Any help would be good since I do need to move on though I fancy Windows 3 and Firefox 4 is cool too! I might dual boot this main PC with Linux Mint 11 when it comes out as I want to use Libre-office and firefox4 again!
    Hey TB:

Unity is for windows users basically. It is no sweat to just switch back to Gnome ,
    That is what I did and I like 11.04 now. As far as Libre Office my experience with it so far is it is a slightly fancier version of Abiword.
    In my book nothing comes close to Softmaker . It does everything, actually is compatible with MS Office , is lightning fast ,the Softmaker Presentations {Power Point alternate} is hands down superior to MS and OO. it even does animations inside the slides, The 2008 version is free and the only drawback I see is you have to use a seperate converter for .docx files. The 2010 version is 70.00 for 3 licenses and it does docx. Neither does .pub but I never used that program anyway.

Beans

PDf Shuffler is handy for rearranging large files. I use it for insurance contracts. I run Lubuntu 10 on my old Tablet PC and open the application files in Xournal ,they are usually about 40 pages and fill out the contract with the digitqal pen and voila, I do not ever have to waste time and money printing apps or carrying all that paper around and then hoping the fax machine actually worked for once.
    All I have to do to bypass the passwords on the pdf files is by printing them to post script and then back to pdf. They sell programs to defeat the passwords on pdf files but print to file in Lubuntu has never been dazed by one yet. The older style security was bypassed with PDF editors but no more. The only thing I have not figured out is how to edit them later, it seems impossible. Adding text later is no problem , but changing it is . If anyone has an idea how I am all ears.

Beans

I have been also looking for a good pdf reader for linux, and I think that PDFStudio is a strong candidate. It is not free though, but could be useful for people that require a lot of functionalities.

Beans

Evince is my default, and it is just great. I'm using 10.04 and have never had issues with loading; although I do have 2gb of ram, which might have something to do with it.
    I have used Adobe reader, but find evince better and faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

FWIW, I had a display problem in a PDF and thought I would try xpdf, just to see if it would make a difference. xpdf crashed immediately.

sudo apt-get remove xpdf

hjh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12