Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ocassional freeze on waking screen saver

Beans

ocassional freeze on waking screen saver

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on my Gazelle Ultra (gazu1). 9.04 is the originally installed OS, so there shouldn't be any cruft from messy OS upgrades.

I'm kind of a paranoid user, so I lock my screen (using Brightside, aka Screen Actions -- if that matters) every time I step away from my machine.

Oftentimes, I come back and the screen saver is still running -- in other words, my computer hasn't gone to sleep or hibernated yet. I usually press the down arrow to stop the screen saver and get the prompt for my password. 80% or more of the time, this works as it should.

When it doesn't work, the screen saver stops animating and just stays frozen on the screen. The login dialogue never shows up, and sometimes (but not always) the fan starts going as if the machine were suddenly doing a lot of work. At this point, I have no choice but to manually power down the machine and start over.

Any ideas?
    -Pitt

Beans

Re: ocassional freeze on waking screen saver

Same issue here as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not sure about brightside. That could be causing some sort of segfault. If you un-install brightside, do you get the same symptoms?

Also, locking the screen isn't the same thing as suspending.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had this problem in 9.04 as well on my z61m thinkpad. I wouldn't manually turn on the screen saver but after it would start, about half the time my system would lock. After playing for a month I turned off the screen saver ... I don't have this problem in 9.10 anymore

Beans

It seems unlikely to me that the cause would be brightside. As far as I know, brightside's job is done when the screen saver is activated. It works like this:
    1. brightside is configured to activate the screen saver when I move my mouse to the top right corner of the screen
    2. screen saver is configured to lock the screen when activated

... so it doesn't appear to me that brightside is directly involved in locking the screen.

I'm happy to uninstall brightside and use the "lock screen" option in the user switcher to eliminate the possibility, but I think we're barking up the wrong tree.

To be clear on the question of suspend/hibernate, I'm not doing either. I guess there's a setting somewhere that suspends the machine if it's been inactive for X minutes, but I'm talking about periods of less than X minutes, where the screen is simply locked and the screen saver is active.

I put off upgrading to 9.10 because I heard folks were having problems with it at first. Maybe I'll upgrade in the near future, but not before I take an image of my hard drive.

I just experienced the issue again, and I immediately used the System 76 Driver to produce the logs tarball. I'd post it here, but I'm not sure if there's sensitive stuff in there that it'd be unwise to make public. Thomas, if it's safe to do so, I'll post it here; otherwise, I'd be glad to email it to you.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
    -Pitt

Beans

I don't have brightside sorry. I disabled the hibernate & suspend and have been fine. The worst time was yesterday. I was doing the weekly update. The screen went into screen saver and locked up. I had to wait for a couple hours or so to make sure the updates had been installed before holding doen the off button.

Beans

@Silvertones, are you also on Ubuntu 9.04?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm happy to uninstall brightside and use the "lock screen" option in the user switcher to eliminate the possibility, but I think we're barking up the wrong tree.
    Yes, please try it. It will only take a minute. Since I've never seen this problem before, and I've never heard of brightside, I'd like to eliminate it as a lead. Otherwise, it'll always be in the back of my mind.

Thomas, if it's safe to do so, I'll post it here; otherwise, I'd be glad to email it to you.
    Yes, you can attach the whole tar.gz file here. It's safe.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

OK, here are the logs.

I've made two changes to my system (probably better to do one at a time if we really want to know what's going on, but I guess if the problem goes away I can undo my changes one at a time to see what triggers it).
    1. Brightside is uninstalled
    2. In System > Power Management, I've changed "Put display to sleep when inactive for:" from 15 minutes to never.

Thanks again for your help.
    -Pitt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast