Thread: Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

Let me start off by saying I'm very new when it comes to anything Linux. Everything was working perfectly until last night when I restarted my computer. (which is running 9.10) Everything appears to boot up normally but right before it gets to the log in screen I get three windows that pop up informing me of errors.

The first one says:
    Could not update ICEauthority file /home/username/.ICEauthority
    After I click ok I get a second error:
    There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
    And once I click ok and that one I get a third window:
    Nautilus could not create the following required folders:
    /home/username/Desktop, /home/username/.nautilus
    Before running Nautilus, please correct these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them.
    The only thing I've changed on my computer is I set it up to auto-login, not sure if that helps or not.

If someone could please help me it would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by cheinze5719; March 16th, 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: missing info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

Found a fix. I've seen a lot of people with the same or a similar problem so I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but I'll post my solution anyways. After my computer had told me about the errors I entered a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2.

I then typed in:
    sudo service gdm restart

This opened up my desktop with everything appearing to be completely normal. I then turned off auto-login and restarted my computer. Once it got past BIOS is ran a bunch or error checks and then allowed my to enter my username and password and it worked.

Like I said I have no idea if this is a bug or not and needs to be reported but I have seen others with similar situations and I hope this helps!

Beans

Angry Re: Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

For me doesn't work this!

I continue with the same problem!

My headache is that my home folder is encrypted.

And I'm afraid with this issue because I'm read a lot of posts in this forum
    that the community coudn't help users, and some people I prefered to reinstall
    the system....

I tried about six different solution but until now any of these work's for me

I'll try to post this question in others forum services.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

I solved this issue with information in others post

I'll post a new thread with the solution.

Beans

I get the same 2 first error messages. After the "There is a problem with the configuration server" error, my screen has a orange and brown desktop (not mine) and just the arrow from the mouse. No icons, no panels, nada. I can only do two things. 1) CTRL-ALT-DEL gets me a "Shut Down the Computer" window with 4 options. 2) CTRL-ALT-F1 gets me a terminal like window but just text mode (no scroll bars). I tried gdm stop and service gdm restart, but I just get back into the Log-in screen and repeat the process.

Here is what I did prior to all of this and this may help someone understand what I need to do to recover from all of this.

I was running 9.10 version -20 and S.M.A.R.T. told me that I was having problems with my hard drive (bad sectors and the number of sectors was growing with every reboot). I did a dd of all partitions to a big external backup drive. I also copied all of /home to a directory there, too. In this way I was hoping to keep my Windows XP working, too. I took my Acer Aspire One completely apart and replaced the existing 120 GB drive with a new 240 GB drive. Same brand as was installed (Seagate Momentus) but a bigger drive. I created the partitions and allowed for a slightly larger Windows partition (20 GB instead of 15 GB). I kept the Ubuntu partition at 15 GB. After transferring the rescue and Windows partition over, I copied my /home backup to the /home mount point. THEN I installed Ubuntu 9.10 from a live CD. I used a USB DVD drive as the AAO does not have one. Everything appeared to go well. No error messages. I then tried Windows first, and after the initial boot screen, it switches video modes and all I get is a Windows background and the Windows logo and then it stops doing anything. Likewise, I start Ubuntu 9.10. I got the same first two errors as mentioned above, and nothing.

I was able to eliminate the first error by chown user:user /home/user/.ICEauthority. But the next one does not go away.

Is it possible that because the live CD iso that I pulled off of Ubunutu is 9.10 version -14 and I had -20 there before causing the problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for posting the solution.
    I had th same problem and your solution helped me to set my login back to normal.
    Hope they fix the auto login soon.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

With much gratitude to all those who work so hard to help us tyros through the early stages, I'd like to post a method which worked for me, when all else had failed.
    Use an Ubuntu distribution disc to get a command prompt.
    I then got permissions corrected on my $HOME directory, and made sure I could open all directories with ls commands. Then I tried
    Code:
    dpkg
    sudo apt-get remove nautilus
    shutdown -r now
    Get back to a CLI by the previous method, and use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo shutdown -r now
    and get the CD out quickly. On restart, I get a clean boot and login.
    I hope this as of some help to someone as desperate as I was.
    Best wishes,
    Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My problem was NOT ONLY with ~/.ICEauthority being owned by root, but also that there were two additional ~/.ICEauthority* files created for some reason.

Changing the ownership AND renaming/removing those two new files fixed MY problem:

Something bad obviously happened and I figured an important change must have happened so I checked what was modified in the last 10 minutes:
    Code:
    find ~/ -mmin +0 -mmin -10
    I compared the files that showed up with files of the same name on a different, working PC, which had the same OS (Ubuntu 9.10) and also checked their permissions. On the bad PC:
    Code:
    ls -la ~/.ICE*
      which gave me something like:
    -rw------- 1 root   root      45846 2010-05-08 21:09 /home/myuser/.ICEauthority
    -rw-r--r-- 2 myuser myuser        0 2010-05-10 13:28 /home/myuser/.ICEauthority-c
    -rw-r--r-- 2 myuser myuser        0 2010-05-10 13:28 /home/myuser/.ICEauthority-l
    Only the problem PC had the 2 extra (empty) files compared to the working one:
    ~/.ICEauthority-c and ~/.ICEauthority-l
    Also, the ~/.ICEauthority file was owned by root only on the bad PC.

I changed the ownership to match the working PC and renamed the 2 strange new files:
    Code:
    mv -iv ~/.ICEauthority-c ~/.ICEauthority-c.backup
    mv -iv ~/.ICEauthority-l ~/.ICEauthority-l.backup
    sudo chown myusername:myusername ~/.ICE*
    After that, I didn't get the error anymore. Although I still don't really know what those files were for, I wonder if they were "stale locks" for ICE Authority.

In my case, both times I had this problem I think I was messing with opening extra displays on the same PC using the commands "xinit" and "ssh" (also, "xpra" and "screen" may have done something too, but I'm not sure). I think this is why my problem differed from others'.

Anyway, hope this helps someone. Have a great day! ^^/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This was a lifesaver. Thanks and it worked!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cheinze5719 View Post
    Found a fix. I've seen a lot of people with the same or a similar problem so I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but I'll post my solution anyways. After my computer had told me about the errors I entered a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2.

I then typed in:
    sudo service gdm restart

This opened up my desktop with everything appearing to be completely normal. I then turned off auto-login and restarted my computer. Once it got past BIOS is ran a bunch or error checks and then allowed my to enter my username and password and it worked.

Like I said I have no idea if this is a bug or not and needs to be reported but I have seen others with similar situations and I hope this helps!

Beans

Smile Re: Could not update ICEauthority file - problem

I resolved this problem by changing permissions for my home directory. It turned out the folder /home/james had only rw------- permissions, whilst other users had rwxr-xr-x. To change the permissions to match these I did the following:
    Code:
    chmod o+rx /home/james
    chmod g+rx /home/james
    chmod +x /home/james
    This resolved the issue for me. The other methods, such as changing the permissions on my .ICEauthority file had no effect in my case.

I hope this helps!