Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's do the best music player/downloader ever!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Let's do the best music player/downloader ever!

it would be great to have a grooveshark plugin for rhythmbox
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by carlosgs91 View Post
    Spotify, Pandora, Last.fm, ... they're not bad, but all of us want this:

- Listen to all the music we want with no ads and for free
    - Download the songs that we want for free

It would be like Spotify, with more songs, no ads, open-source, free, and with the ability to download the songs. You'd search an artist like green day and you'd be listening to a big playlist.
    Should it run on unicorn tears and pixie dust too?
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think we gotta take this the hard way.
    Lets start a boycott against the companies that are owning our parliaments and spamming laws that are useful only to them.
    Along that we should make a system that encourages the creation of creative common licensed music, and gives a way to donate to the original artist.

You stream and download a file, if you like it a lot, and want the artist to keep making good music, you give him the money you think he deserves.
    May be many artists used to be "divas" will not like the new system, but I am sure there are lots of emerging artist that would love a nice plateau like this.

thoughts?
    Last edited by beren.olvar; March 19th, 2010 at 03:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roccivic View Post
    How about broadcasting music over VOIP? So that people dial-into a stream. Then select something via DTMF, the server decodes the message and plays appropriate content.

Would DMCA be still all over you then (not that it's relevant to me)?
    It doesn't matter how you transmit it; if you are circumventing copyright, in the United States, you are violating the law.

No comment on Spanish copyright law except that it probably has just as many bad effects as good effects, since copyright in general is a pretty important economic force.

The problem in the United States isn't that we have laws prohibiting free copying of music. It's that
    (1) We have an over-restrictive law (the DMCA) which is abused excessively for its chilling effects that restricts legitimate activities such as reverse engineering for interoperability, circumventing copy protection in cases where it prevents users from legitimately using their products, or performing cryptography research,
    and
    (2) If you want to comply with the DMCA, you have to pay excessive royalties for both reproduction and performance (in the case of Internet broadcasting), which is basically impossible without really deep pockets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last edited by carlosgs91; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12