Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) Support for Ubuntu Linux?

Beans

Re: Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) Support for Ubuntu Linux?

I have a vaio, I'm hoping intel WiDi will come soon on ubuntu

Beans

Frankly, most tv's already support streaming 1920X1080 video without lag over wifi, but only in the form of a file. i am working on an app for samsung Smarttv that allows streaming over wifi, and a backend on the pc side. the same will obviously work for ubuntu.

Beans

I wonder, until Ubuntu is made to work with Push2TV, if it might work in a Virtualbox installation of Windows 7. Does anybody know of any reason why it wouldn't?

Beans

I'm giving thought to what to do about windows 7 (which I need for my Netgear Push2tv adapter) and its relationship to ubuntu. According to Intel, widi needs Windows 7 in addition, of course, to a widi capable computer (like my new Dell Inspiron 17R). I need access to ubuntu from windows 7 for the pictures and other stuff I might want to put on the tv for viewing. So, as I see it, here are my alternatives:

1. Windows 7 and wubi for ubuntu
    2. Dual boot with Windows 7 and ubuntu
    3. Ubuntu and virtualbox with a windows 7 installation (ubuntu would be the host; windows the guest)
    4. Windows with virtualbox with an ubuntu installation (windows would be the host; ubuntu the guest)

Rationales:
    1. I think I'd have total access to files on ubuntu in wubi. That's what I'd like. I'm not so sure about how well wubi will perform though.
    2. Dual boot: probably not a good choice, because of lack of access. Apparently, according to something I read, sharing windows to ubuntu will work, but not the other direction. And it's the other direction I need. And then I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to use my push2tv gadget
    3. I just don't know if windows 7 in virtualbox will allow me access to the "wireless display" (widi) capability of my computer. The two OSes do show their files and that's what widi does: shows whatever's on the computer screen.
    4. This might be the answer: I'd have full use of widi via the installed Wndows and access to windows and ubuntu as needed. Boot-up would be longer since both windows and ubuntu would have to boot up. Startup could be set to automatically start ubuntu.

I wonder if there are any more alternatives. Any ideas or suggestions or comments (besides "Henderson, you're nuts!?)

Beans

Try Totem, with plug-in "coherence DLNA/UPnP Client" installed(download separately), and configure it in totem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WiDi is relatively new and the technology comes with Intel processors of the iX family it is Hardware related and not software.
    The idea of transmitting A/V wireless from a PC to a TV is not new PC2TV has been here for some time.Nowadays you can buy these types of adapters almost everywhere,check out Walmart for example,Bestbuy,TigerDirect,Brandsmart USA,etc,etc,etc
    Google PC2TV and you'll see.
    There are quite few manufactures of differents brands of hardware,mostly for Windows based PCs but some are not Software Related either so we may be in good luck here just with the current OS we are running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have the widi card on my toshiba i5 and as far as I can tell 11.10 doesn't know it exists. I'm not sure if it is a seperate wifi card or no so I don't have a clue how to trouble shoot it. I would like to see Mrs on this but if not that's the reason I fall back to win7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WiDi uses the existing wifi standards, the computer and the push2tv box must be on the same wireless network, it's not using 2 separate wifi cards or anything. I can't find anything about Linux support though, which really sucks, because none of the other methods are really that good, all the other push2tv services are really laggy, and most don't get to 1080p, not to mention few have any Linux support whatsoever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Henderson View Post
    I'm giving thought to what to do about windows 7 (which I need for my Netgear Push2tv adapter) and its relationship to ubuntu. According to Intel, widi needs Windows
    I've read that the recent Push2TV boxes are also DLNA renderers. [http://www.anandtech.com/show/6321/n...tv-300-series]

So, you should be able to use normal DLNA to stream to the box, right? (easier to stream to TV but I'm assuming you don't have a "Smart" TV).

If the box/TV can handle DLNA then I'd suggest MediaTomb, which is fantastic and perhaps Upnp AV Control Point (which allows you to push from PC rather than pull from TV.

I've got Widi on my laptop, but TV doesn't support it hence I use DLNA.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just bought a Dell XPS 13 and configured it to match the DEll Developer Edition that runs a customized version of Ubuntu 12.04.

I am currently an enterprise architect but spent most of my 30+ years career as a developer and team lead. I can tell you that in both of these roles, I would deploy lots of efforts to be able to connect to TV monitor or overhead projector that are basic and indispensable tools in workshops and group meetings.

I love using Ubuntu on the desktop but, to my experience, its most important weakness is to downplay those special features that are used day in and out in corporate environment. Connecting a laptop to a large monitor is a move me and most of my co-workers do many times per day since many years. TO this day, we still have to toss around an lenghty and heavy VGA cable that keeps unpluging from the laptop connector due to its shear weight.

Maybe this WIDi feature is not "mainstream" to a majority of user but I can assure you that it would make a killing in the developper / architect / project manager / business executive and so on. And these are the ones who influence or decide on technology orientation and purchasing.

This technology is not that new since Windows 7 supports it since quite some time now. To be able to take its place in corporate envirionment, Ubuntu desktop should exercice a better leadership in prioritizing corporate type features.

Jacques

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast