Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad sector on laptop

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Bad sector on laptop

Sometimes, like if the power goes out in the middle of a write, sectors can become corrupted and unreadable. If you run the long smart test and find out exactly which two sectors are bad, you can use dd to write all zeros to them. This will force the drive to try and rewrite the sector, which may work if it just got garbled, or if it is physically damaged and can not be written to, the drive will automatically remap that sector to a spare one.

The old badblocks test and fix ( which is what fsck -c does ) is obsolete and should not be used on disks that support SMART. If you do, then it will detect the unreadable sector and just flag that sector as unusable to the filesystem.

Beans

2 bad sectors. That's not bad here are 2 of mine...
    Both are still in use by the way and the one with over 655,000 bad sectors came out of my laptop.

Just keep an eye on it and if the number starts going up then you'll have to start shopping for a new one like I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kalasoka View Post
    I too had some problems with the hard disk of my laptop (its 10 yrs old now). At times it would fail to read certain files and would make a lot of noise. I used fsck to fix those bad blocks, and now its working fine. Try something like this:

sudo fsck.ext3 -pcfv /dev/sda3

assuming you have ext3 filesystem, and the bad blocks are on the partition /dev/sda3.

IMP: The drive MUST not be mounted while performing disk check. Otherwise, boot from a Live CD and do the scanning.

i could try that i have a live c.d . as i dont want to unmount the hard drivr inase i cant get it mounted again as i dont know wher the bad blocks are .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2 View Post
    2 bad sectors. That's not bad here are 2 of mine...
    Both are still in use by the way and the one with over 655,000 bad sectors came out of my laptop.

Just keep an eye on it and if the number starts going up then you'll have to start shopping for a new one like I did.

yeah i will , ive checked it again today and still the same no numbers going up lol.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Sometimes, like if the power goes out in the middle of a write, sectors can become corrupted and unreadable. If you run the long smart test and find out exactly which two sectors are bad, you can use dd to write all zeros to them. This will force the drive to try and rewrite the sector, which may work if it just got garbled, or if it is physically damaged and can not be written to, the drive will automatically remap that sector to a spare one.

The old badblocks test and fix ( which is what fsck -c does ) is obsolete and should not be used on disks that support SMART. If you do, then it will detect the unreadable sector and just flag that sector as unusable to the filesystem.

sorry dont understand that ? what is dd and how do you wrie all zeros to them ?

Beans

I had chosen to erase a HD (bad sectors problems i recovered data) using external secure erase commands writes zeros to entire area using Erase Disk tool comes with parted magic. It said that my HD is in frozen state and gave me some other option to do it (HD was making click and grinding noise) i opted for it now my questions is will i be able to use the HD once again a normal fashion after this process. IS there a method or procedure for that? Its a 320GB HD so i assume its going to take lot of time... Thanks in advance...

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

dd is a swiss army knife command line tool that you can use to move data from anywhere to anywhere. If you run the long smart test the results should give you the exact sector that has the problem. You can try to have dd read that sector with:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1 skip=sector
    Assuming the drive in question is sda of course, and sector is the number of the bad sector. This should fail with an IO error. If it does, then you know you have the right place. To write that sector full of zeroes, you do:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 seek=sector
    Make sure you type it exactly. Getting it wrong can have very bad results. Notice the skip becomes seek in the second version. Do not forget the count=1 option or it will keep keep going until the end of the disk.

If it is successful you should be able to read the sector again and have it not fail this time. You should then see the smart numbers change. The pending sector count should go down by one, and depending on whether the drive had to remap because the sector was physically bad or not, the reallocated sector count should go up by one.
    Last edited by psusi; March 17th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    dd is a swiss army knife command line tool that you can use to move data from anywhere to anywhere. If you run the long smart test the results should give you the exact sector that has the problem. You can try to have dd read that sector with:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1 skip=sector
    Assuming the drive in question is sda of course, and sector is the number of the bad sector. This should fail with an IO error. If it does, then you know you have the right place. To write that sector full of zeroes, you do:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 seek=sector
    Make sure you type it exactly. Getting it wrong can have very bad results. Notice the skip becomes seek in the second version. Do not forget the count=1 option or it will keep keep going until the end of the disk.

If it is successful you should be able to read the sector again and have it not fail this time. You should then see the smart numbers change. The pending sector count should go down by one, and depending on whether the drive had to remap because the sector was physically bad or not, the reallocated sector count should go up by one.

thank you , psusi now i know what you mean , ive noted all that down , and will give it a try later on today when i get home from work . and get peace to do it frommy lovable but menacing 2 year old son

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kavirajan View Post
    I had chosen to erase a HD (bad sectors problems i recovered data) using external secure erase commands writes zeros to entire area using Erase Disk tool comes with parted magic. It said that my HD is in frozen state and gave me some other option to do it (HD was making click and grinding noise) i opted for it now my questions is will i be able to use the HD once again a normal fashion after this process. IS there a method or procedure for that? Its a 320GB HD so i assume its going to take lot of time... Thanks in advance...

pass dont know , am new to this myself . sorry

Beans

The HDD SMART has not given a warning yet, but the current pending sector count is 2...that is a matter of concern. It might be that all reserved sectors are used up...but the HDD SMART subsystem could have been just evaluating them.

Overall, I don't think you need to buy a new HDD. Post the output of -

smartclt -a <your HDD>
    2 Bad sectors are not bad you know, for e.g. mine -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dE_logics; March 17th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast