Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Beans

Re: ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Hi, I did what crypto2600 said to do to get my graphics working, and now it says my package system is broken. I ran the synaptic package pair thing and it gave me this.

[Warning] Uninstall : inst_path_default or inst_path_override
    does not exist in /etc/ati. This suggests that the ATI driver
    is not installed, the ATI driver is only partially installed,
    or the current ATI driver installed is an older version than the
    one this script was designed for. Both files listed above are
    required for determining where installed files are located.
    To force uninstallation of the driver by guessing where the
    uninstallation files are located, set the FORCE_ATI_UNINSTALL
    environment variable and re-run /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh (this is not recommended).

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.780-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.780-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

can anyone help? I'm kinda new to ubuntu and dont really know what to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by puregutsxc View Post
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) can anyone help? I'm kinda new to ubuntu and dont really know what to do.
    Code:
    export FORCE_ATI_UNINSTALL="yes"
    and then run the commands in: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crypto2600 View Post
    Hey there guys. I had the exact same problem.
    I got the ASUS K72JR-A1 (amazing laptop). I kept reading the forums until I realized the pattern that was fixing the issue.

There is something off about Catalyst 10.2 and I could never get it to work. Here are the steps that fixed it (going to get into detail for new users):

MATE!!

I have to say that this was a perfect solution. I know you posted more than a year ago, but who cares?

I was gifted some two year old dual core machines for my kids. They had series 5000 ATI cards in them:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450]

I normally use stock or Nvidia cards and am not often stuck for a solution.

I found a world of pain trying to get 3D to work on them properly, until I found your post.

Seriously easy to follow. I didn't need the watermark fix because for some reason it just didn't appear.

Soooo, I just wanted to say a great big thank you. I'm immensely appreciate and so are my kids.

Beans

Hy there so is the Ati Mobility 5470 HD working in ubunt, I tried this and that and it still didn't work for me, which version of ubuntu and the driver are you using, I have an Asus K52JE, 3D graphics didn't work for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It took me hours to resolve this, but I finally found a solution, so I'll quickly summarise my findings for the benefit of anyone who uncovers this thread through google like I did.

The ATI Radeon HD 5470 graphics card does work with the open source driver, but will likely make your laptop run 25C hotter than it does in Windows (try programs like CPUID hardware monitor in windows / Psensor in Ubuntu to check this yourself if you like). For me, this took the graphics card up to 80C+ when idle and made the laptop too hot to touch.

To bring the temperature down you need to use a different graphics driver. Here's where the fun begins...

There are two main desktop environments for ubuntu: UNITY and KDE. If you download "standard" ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop then you'll get UNITY. If you download "Kubuntu" from http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu you'll get KDE. It is also apparently possible to install KDE after booting Gnome and vice versa...but I haven't tried it, and that's another thread.

Both Unity and KDE are great. If I had the choice, I don't know which I'd choose but the important thing is:

UNITY is incompatible with the proprietary fglrx driver for the ATI Radeon HD 5470 graphics card.

You need this driver. I'm unaware of any other driver that works and keeps the heat at a manageable level ...which basically means you can't use UNITY, and you'll have to use KDE.

SO. To business...

EDIT: this definitely works on 12.04 LTS, but may work on other versions too.

1. Install Kubuntu.
    2. Remove any existing fglrx drivers and their settings:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    3. Install the required driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
    4. Configure the driver
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    5. Reboot
    6. To get full hardware acceleration:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
    7. Enjoy Ubuntu!

Thanks to QIII for providing a version of this solution on another thread.
    Last edited by Feathers McGraw; August 5th, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added Ubuntu version

Beans

Hi, thx for the reply, i got rid of Ubuntu but will try this sollution when i get the chance, i would really like to revert to Ubuntu, hope this sollution will work for me 2.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by An6r3w View Post
    Hi, thx for the reply, i got rid of Ubuntu but will try this sollution when i get the chance, i would really like to revert to Ubuntu, hope this sollution will work for me 2.
    You're welcome, friend. I was almost at the point of giving up myself...almost!

I have loads of coursework coming up and was at the point where if I couldn't get it working reliably before then I'd have to sack it off until after graduation, and miss the chance to learn by doing work with it, if you get what I mean...
    Last edited by Feathers McGraw; April 10th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Just in case it's useful for anyone else stumbling across this thread, I found a better solution with the help of some folks at Kubuntu Forums.

I've written it up at the link below, but basically the solution is switching off an unused graphics card.

http://www.samhobbs.co.uk/2013/09/ub...-amd-graphics/

Hope this is useful to someone.

Feathers

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910