Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Use default domain with likewise-open 5.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Use default domain with likewise-open 5.4

Hello,

I tried to use the version from their official site (beyondtrust.com) just like you suggested, but unfortunately it did not work for me.

The problems:

1 - The gui below did not come up. So I still had to add the computer to the domain using the CLI.

2 - After the computer was added to the domain, I rebooted and the command prompt appeared just with a $, no hostname, no username. Using the up and down arrows to see previous commands also was not working.

3 - since the gui didnt come up, I tried to change the lwconfig file, do assumedefaultdomain true. It did it, but after I logged in and out (and even reboot), I could no longer log into the computer with my account...

It gave me more problems than installing via cmd...so I dont know what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

linux.girl

Beans

Did you remove the first likewise installation before you installed the one from beyondtrust.com? And how did you get from step 2 to step 3?

If you're still unable to login via the Ubuntu gui, my advice is to unjoin from the domain using the terminal, then manually check /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname, removing any domain info there. Then rebbot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi Charlotte18,

I did the attempt on a different computer, one that never had likewise installed. It was a clean install.

On number 2, after a few reboots, the command prompt came back to normal and then I proceeded with the attempt to edit the lwconfig file, do assumedefaultdomain true. It seemed it accepted the change, but once I logged out, I could no longer log in (with AD users - with local users I could log in).

When I got to that point, I decided I would try Centrify Express and see how it works.

The issue with likewise is that when i installed it from the ubuntu repo, for some reason OPT folder was *empty* (I tried it many times on different hw). When installing from the website version, OPT seemed to contain all the correct files, but when I tried to edit when the files (lwconfig), it happened what I described above.

I am still evaluating both sw and eventually I will decide if to go with likewise or centrify.

thanks for your help!

linux.girl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234