Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blank Screen & Other Oddities

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Blank Screen & Other Oddities

When the grub menu appears at boot, are you able to select the recovery mode option and get in? After selecting recovery mode, a little menu will come up - select the one that says something like root console.

If so:

cd /etc/pam.d

nano gdm

remove the line as suggested

hold down CTRL and press the O (that's "oh" key)

hold down CTRL and press the X key to exit

shutdown -r now

You don't need to use "sudo" if you get in via recovery mode as it logs you in as a root user anyway.

Dave

EDIT: Additionally, you may want to boot the LiveCD you installed from, be sure the existing partition is mounted, and just use sudo gedit to edit the gdm file on your existing partition. You would have no problems with authentification as long as you run from the LiveCD to do so.
    Last edited by anewguy; March 30th, 2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Addition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Blank Screen & Other Oddities

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    When the grub menu appears at boot, are you able to select the recovery mode option and get in? After selecting recovery mode, a little menu will come up - select the one that says something like root console.

If so:

cd /etc/pam.d

nano gdm

remove the line as suggested

hold down CTRL and press the O (that's "oh" key)

hold down CTRL and press the X key to exit

shutdown -r now

You don't need to use "sudo" if you get in via recovery mode as it logs you in as a root user anyway.

Dave

EDIT: Additionally, you may want to boot the LiveCD you installed from, be sure the existing partition is mounted, and just use sudo gedit to edit the gdm file on your existing partition. You would have no problems with authentification as long as you run from the LiveCD to do so.
    Hi Dave,
    thanks for all of the quick replies. I tried recovery mode with no luck. It loaded normally but the screen became scrambled in red chunks. Hard to explain, I know but I can't access the recovery menu properly. How frustrating! I'll try the Live CD thing and get back you soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12