Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 install

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 install

Here is my problem. I have an old Dell Inspiron 8200 which I use for doing my CCNA study on. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it the cairo dock, all was running great, a little sluggish at times but thaht was down to the integrated display adaptor, no problem. I then decided to try out Open Suse but didnt like it so reformatted the whole disk back to Ubuntu then my problems started.
    After going through the installation, I found the computer would only boot in the live CD mode, no files were copied. I then reformatted back to Windows XP and try top set up a dual boot system but the same results!, no data on my hard drive from Ubuntu!!.
    I then installed a new hard drive and tried a new dual boot installation but with the same results, what is stopping the machine form installing Ubuntu, can anybody help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 install

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Having had a quick look at the laptop and ubuntu, it looks as though it is fairly trouble free.

Black Screen (looks like nothing is happening) --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1365701

You may want to head over to the Ubuntu Dell section of the forum over at --> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=342

There is general information there & they'll be more used to dealing with Dells.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 install

It sounds like you're not installing at all and just booting from the LiveCD. Try running the wubi if your computer is currently using W.