Thread: New to the Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New to the Forums

So as the title says, I am new to the forums, but in no way new to Linux or any Un*x like operating system. I was just curious, for those savvy individuals in the forum, why they stay with Ubuntu and not opt for Debian, Gentoo, or another more in-depth distro like BSD (yes I know it's technically Un*x). Personally I chose it due to its relation to Debian, and its ease of configuration. I was an Opensuse and Fedora user for a while, then switched to BSD, then Gentoo. I grew tired of having to compile and configure simple things such as x11 upon first boot for BSD, or some other driver. I finally decided that I want my drivers and hardware to just work, and I would much rather compile and write software. Please any anecdotes are welcome.

Beans

Re: New to the Forums

I'm new to Linux, but this thread looks slow, so I'll throw in my $0.02. I switched from windows to linux to get away from the MS upgrade cycle and malware issues.

I picked Ubuntu, b/c it is billed as the most mainstream Linux option right now. So far I haven't had any trouble with malware. I think apt-get is the single best feature of Ubuntu / Debian, both for installing new programs and keeping the system up to date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been tinkering with Linux for a couple of years (off and on)... really more at the user level. After looking at a few different distros, I came back to Ubuntu because I want something that "just works." As you mentioned, I don't want to have to deal with hardware driver issues either.

Christy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I took a unix course many years ago in college and liked it. I tried Ubuntu for the first time back when it was 6.06 and I've been using it off and on since then. Mostly on these days, truthfully I like it more than ever.

I haven't tried any other distro really other than Mint. Mostly because I don't want to take the time to learn something new right now.

I would switch in a heartbeat though if it meant the input jack on my sound card would work!
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.