Thread: videos just a black screen

Beans

videos just a black screen

. I decided to try UBUNTU out I still have windows on my hard drive laptop & Pc as well as UBUNTU. I am having a problem viewing videos, just a black screen. I can watch some on you tube not the majority & none on yahoo. I managed to fix the problem on the laptop which was a abode flash down load. I tried the same with the PC I am not having any joy. Could someone in cyber space give me some hints tips & idiot proof instructions. I think I am now doing more damage than good. (please make any instructions IDIOT proof) All help will be received with thanks & a few hoorays.
    Thank you & all the best.

In the meantime I am going to start reading the beginners guide. I am just used to clicking to get things done but willing to learn. Apart from that I am very impressed, stay cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: videos just a black screen

Have you tried the following?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    That package contains some restricted codecs/etc.

Beans

Cool Re: videos just a black screen

Same problem here, randomly started happening yesterday. It does not matter what player I use I just get a black video box. The sound still plays fine though.
    However if I switch user and log on as someone else the problem does not exist and everything is fine???

Linux Mint 8 - Helena (based on Ubuntu 9.10)
    2.6.31-14-generic
    Gnome 2.28.1
    Nvidia driver version: 190.53
    GeForce GTS 250