Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SeamlessRDP in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

SeamlessRDP in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

I have seen tons of tutorials about using seamlessrdp in older versions of Ubuntu to seamlessly pull up windows apps as if they were in Ubuntu.

I recently tried this in 9.10 to find that the remote login seems to work but it opens a full window and nothing I do will make the window float on top of the Ubuntu desktop like the screenshots I have seen on the net.

So my question is does anyone have this working in 9.10 and if so can you please share.

I use Ubuntu 9.10 64 with VMWare Workstation 7.0 (containing Windows XP SP3 Machine).

Beans

Re: SeamlessRDP in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

You need Cendio Seamless RDP:
    http://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp/

Beans
    Distro

Actually I already have seamlessrdp and that is why I titled this thread the way I did.

The command line "works" for logging in via seamlessrdp and rdesktop but it seems that the remote system never shows seamlessly. I just get the big blue window.

Example:

Code:
    rdesktop -A -s "c:\seamlessrdp\seamlessrdpshell.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" <IP of VM> -u administrator -p password
    This launches a fullscreen window of my vm and logs it in but it doesn't open the program and the window is fullscreen as mentioned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

I did that a long time ago and I seem to remember that first to have to login to the vmware session normally and after you are logged in, start the seamless rdp and take over the session.

Don't know, if that is still true.

Good luck,

Riko

Beans
    Distro

RikoW, yes I did do it the way you describe, but it does not open as a resized window after opening again. I think it may not be working properly in 9.10 but I can't seem to confirm this.

I feel I am doing everything right since I can login via RDP but the programs I try to get it to launch do not open via seamlessrdp and the window is always fullsize.

I will say that if I use seamlessrdp to set the width and height of the remote window then it does get set properly. It just doesn't listen to anything to do with the -A flag or the program to launch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Sorry that I can't help more. Maybe it has something to do with the fact you are trying to do that with a VM?! Shouldn't though.

I do seamlessrdp with to a windows 2003 server and it works just as expected with resizing and everything.

Good luck,

Riko

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Hi again,

it seems like an RDP session to the VM behaves differently then to a physical machine. A seamless RDP session to a desktop PC running XPSP3 works great, while I always get the desktop full screen when I try to do that with a VM (XPSP3) executing exactly the same command. That used to work in older versions of VMware. I'm now running Worskstation 7.0.

Cheers,
    Riko

Beans
    Distro

Rikow, thanks for testing that out. I now I know it isn't just me. Odd that it used to work but doesn't anymore. Seems like there would be a lot more people posting with this issue but I guess not.

Maybe someone will find a solution eventually. If I find anything I will be sure to update this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi All,

just so you know, I am experiencing the same problem on 10.04.
    I have a paravirtualised windows xp guest running with KVM and when I try to do a seamlessrdp session for say notpad, all I get is a huge blue window which covers both my screens! and notepad doesnt even load.

not sure what the problem is, rdesktop is the latest version and I got the seamlessrdp files from Cendio.

Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm having the same problem as well. I can RDP into my Windows box just fine, but seamless RDP just gives me an RDP session that takes up both of my monitors and has no windows decorations.
    I wonder if there is a regression in rdesktop 1.6.
    "Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter
    http://maxolasersquad.com/
    http://maxolasersquad.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast