Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Synaptic will not install any program

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    16

    [SOLVED] Synaptic will not install any program

    Using Ubuntu 9.10, with no problems for some time. Now when I try to install any package, I will get the following:

    Code:
    (Reading database ... 45%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package 'linux-headers-2.6.31-20': Input/output error
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
    No matter which package I try to install, it will hang at 45% and give the same error.

    Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jyanek; March 12th, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Problem solved

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    13,510
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by jyanek View Post
    Using Ubuntu 9.10, with no problems for some time. Now when I try to install any package, I will get the following:

    Code:
    (Reading database ... 45%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package 'linux-headers-2.6.31-20': Input/output error
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
    No matter which package I try to install, it will hang at 45% and give the same error.

    Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Select a different Software Source (repository) and then Reload, report back what happens.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    16

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Select a different Software Source (repository) and then Reload, report back what happens.
    I tried two other sources, and both give identical errors (even both stopping at 45%). Note that all servers will download the packages. It is during the install that I get hung up, no matter which package (nor server) I use.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    K-o-T,
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and if that fails,try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    or use Synaptic Package Manager to fix broken packages.

    Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    16

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by plucky View Post
    Try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and if that fails,try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    or use Synaptic Package Manager to fix broken packages.

    Good Luck
    Thanks. I tried all three of those suggestions. Synaptic still hangs at 45%. Same response whether I do it from the package manager, command line, etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    S.H.I.E.L.D. 6-1-6
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by jyanek View Post
    Thanks. I tried all three of those suggestions. Synaptic still hangs at 45%. Same response whether I do it from the package manager, command line, etc.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge --force all linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    16

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by carlee View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge --force all linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    I executed the above; however, still same issue. Note below that when I executed the first command, you will see the same "(Reading database ... 45%" issue, and again when it attempted to install packages. Here is the entire extract of my session.:

    Code:
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo dpkg --purge --force all linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    dpkg: linux-headers-2.6.31-20: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
     linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic depends on linux-headers-2.6.31-20.
    (Reading database ... 45%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package `linux-headers-2.6.31-20': Input/output error
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
    rm: cannot remove `/var/cache/apt/archives/partial': Is a directory
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.31-20
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-headers-2.6.31-20 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    poodles@happy:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      devede
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      dpkg gnome-screensaver tzdata tzdata-java
    4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 7,184kB of archives.
    After this operation, 4,096B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main dpkg 1.15.4ubuntu2.1 [2,171kB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main tzdata-java 2010e-0ubuntu0.9.10 [144kB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main tzdata 2010e-0ubuntu0.9.10 [683kB]
    Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main gnome-screensaver 2.28.0-0ubuntu3.5 [4,186kB]
    Fetched 7,184kB in 26s (271kB/s)                                               
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 45%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package `linux-headers-2.6.31-20': Input/output error
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    poodles@happy:~$

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    K-o-T,
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    (Reading database ... 45%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package `linux-headers-2.6.31-20': Input/output error
    It seems to be having problems reading linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list.

    You could from a terminal
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list.old
    Then open synaptic package manager and search for linux-headers-2.6.31.20 and reinstall which will recreate the list.It will complain that the file is missing,but it will then recreate it.

    Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    16

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    Quote Originally Posted by plucky View Post
    It seems to be having problems reading linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list.

    You could from a terminal
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list.old
    Then open synaptic package manager and search for linux-headers-2.6.31.20 and reinstall which will recreate the list.It will complain that the file is missing,but it will then recreate it.

    Good Luck
    SOLVED! THANK YOU. Renaming the linux-headers-2.6.31-20.list and reinstalling them solved my problem. THANKS!

    This can be marked "solved" now; however, I do not know how to do this myself. Thanks.
    Last edited by jyanek; March 12th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    101
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Synaptic will not install any program

    This can be marked "solved" now; however, I do not know how to do this myself.
    At the top [Thread Tools] has ~'mark thread as solved'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •