Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webcam brightness increase?

Beans

Re: Webcam brightness increase?

Thanks for respond!

In /sys/module i got only "gspca_zc3xx" and "gspca_main" folders and none of them contains :

/parameters/gamma
    /parameters/GRed
    /parameters/GGreen
    /parameters/GBlue

Code:
    gspca_zc3xx/
    |-- drivers
    |   `-- usb:zc3xx -> ../../../bus/usb/drivers/zc3xx
    |-- holders
    |-- initstate
    |-- notes
    |-- parameters
    |   `-- force_sensor
    |-- refcnt
    |-- sections
    |   |-- __mcount_loc
    |   `-- __param
    `-- srcversion

6 directories, 6 files
    Code:
    gspca_main/
    |-- holders
    |   `-- gspca_zc3xx -> ../../gspca_zc3xx
    |-- initstate
    |-- notes
    |-- parameters
    |   `-- debug
    |-- refcnt
    |-- sections
    |   |-- __kcrctab
    |   |-- __ksymtab
    |   |-- __ksymtab_strings
    |   |-- __mcount_loc
    |   `-- __param
    `-- srcversion

5 directories, 9 files

Beans

sorry this was to be over more

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options

you need to make it yourself
    Last edited by no2498; November 16th, 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: just me

Beans

Update to my issue:

webcam works ok in cheese... but if i change resolution ( in cheese ) from 640x472 to 320x232 the capture goes dark... ( the same as in skype, XawTV and Camorama )
    When i switch it back to 640x472 brightness coming back again...

In skype, XawTV and Camorama for first 2-3sec. it works ok, and them it going dark ( visible but very dark )

I also tried to edit $home/.Skype/$username/config.xml with:
    <Video>
    <CaptureHeight>480</CaptureHeight>
    <CaptureWidth>640</CaptureWidth>
    </Video>

But no luck...

Also i tried make a file /etc/modprobe.d/options and /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
    still no luck...

How can cheese works just fine and rest not ?? cant stand it....

Beans

ubuntu/linux give cheese all the webcam settings
    as of late my 2 cams went to heck
    cant change any settings at all now
    804 and 10.04

Beans

I manage to fix my brightness camera problem

this is what i done:

Install this package ( because the v4lctl couldn't change "auto gain" option on my cam.:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install uvcdynctrl
    and then to startup skype file add this line on 2nd line:
    Code:
    uvcdynctrl -s 'Auto Gain' -- off
    Maybe it will help someone

Beans
    Hidden!

v4lctrl is not installed, you can install it by apt-get install xawtv.

xawtv is not available, it is replaced by v4l-config

v4l-config is already installed.

However there is nothing that can be done with it...

So apt-get install uvcdynctrl .... There are no packages containing uvcdynctrl...

Is it really necessarily to change names of these little programs every 6 months or so?

All that I would need to do in Windows would be to click with mouse on box that says "Outdoor" so that Creative NX Pro would not be so insanely bright, but it surely is not very simple as all guides point to programs that are not to be found, not even as I have added and changed repos etc.

As none of help in this thread is not working, what next, where to get those packages for programs mentioned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
    v4lctrl is not installed, you can install it by apt-get install xawtv.

xawtv is not available, it is replaced by v4l-config

v4l-config is already installed.

However there is nothing that can be done with it...

So apt-get install uvcdynctrl .... There are no packages containing uvcdynctrl...

Is it really necessarily to change names of these little programs every 6 months or so?

All that I would need to do in Windows would be to click with mouse on box that says "Outdoor" so that Creative NX Pro would not be so insanely bright, but it surely is not very simple as all guides point to programs that are not to be found, not even as I have added and changed repos etc.

As none of help in this thread is not working, what next, where to get those packages for programs mentioned?
    try v4l2ucp
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    try v4l2ucp
    Thank you from suggestion, it seems that my installation does not find even that package anymore, it has not been online after installation, I did read Jaunty from somewhere, so I guess that is too old to get any software?

It is machine that just monitors activity via webcam and other machine takes files from it and pushes to ftp, very old machine also, so updates are usually more trouble than worth for it.

Maybe I need to rebuild (PITA) with some LTS version instead trying to fix. I really would like to have set it and forget it installation, just needed to replace webcam and this one option would need to be set, I find rebuilding system is bit of overkill for it?

edit: So I did install new distro, Mint as it is so much praised all over, remembered then why I did wanted new one, dvd drive was broken, wifi driver had to be downloaded and no wired network available, but worst of all issues is that webcam goes connection to camera lost with these new distros every 30 seconds or so (it is truly random really), then it randomly gets either ok pic or way too bright pic. In those short moments when it does work image quality is better of course. Old half broken equipment is tough to deal with sometimes.

However now I got v4l2ucp and I do have some control over the gamma settings, which is at least something.

Using now Mint 10, Motion 3.2.12, Creative NX Pro (very old, 2004 or so, still better image in dark than most new ones, but it has fault in pcb as sometimes need to twist it to get colours right in picture) and POS Acer Aspire 3100, which has motherboard fault so typing need to be done gently or it does freeze, reusing some old junk here.
    Last edited by jtbo; May 29th, 2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
    Thank you from suggestion, it seems that my installation does not find even that package anymore, it has not been online after installation, I did read Jaunty from somewhere, so I guess that is too old to get any software?

It is machine that just monitors activity via webcam and other machine takes files from it and pushes to ftp, very old machine also, so updates are usually more trouble than worth for it.

Maybe I need to rebuild (PITA) with some LTS version instead trying to fix. I really would like to have set it and forget it installation, just needed to replace webcam and this one option would need to be set, I find rebuilding system is bit of overkill for it?

edit: So I did install new distro, Mint as it is so much praised all over, remembered then why I did wanted new one, dvd drive was broken, wifi driver had to be downloaded and no wired network available, but worst of all issues is that webcam goes connection to camera lost with these new distros every 30 seconds or so (it is truly random really), then it randomly gets either ok pic or way too bright pic. In those short moments when it does work image quality is better of course. Old half broken equipment is tough to deal with sometimes.

However now I got v4l2ucp and I do have some control over the gamma settings, which is at least something.

Using now Mint 10, Motion 3.2.12, Creative NX Pro (very old, 2004 or so, still better image in dark than most new ones, but it has fault in pcb as sometimes need to twist it to get colours right in picture) and POS Acer Aspire 3100, which has motherboard fault so typing need to be done gently or it does freeze, reusing some old junk here.
    I'm using natty, and v4l2ucp is in the repos here...
    [edit]
    oh you are saying you are using jaunty? hmm, not sure about that, I'd upgrade to at least
    [edit2]
    yeah, jaunty is unsupported, so I'd upgrade if you can.
    Last edited by nerdy_kid; May 30th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the tip, nerdy_kid. My own webcam, rather than capturing too dark, would begin by working perfectly and then increase in brightness over time, finally becoming a bleached-out sea of white.

I'd tried lots of tools to correct the brightness, most of which couldn't connect to the webcam while I was using it (in Google Hangouts, for example). If I stopped the webcam to access it via the tool, the problem would immediately go away.

v4l2ucp allows me to access the webcam while it's running, and so correct the brightness problem (running GoogleTalkPlugin in Oneiric, that is).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12