Re: HP Slate - "iPad Killer"..?

And yet, the Touchbook still seems better throughout all this:

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ve4cib View Post
    Plus e-readers tend to be greyscale-only from what I understand, making them less-practical for textbooks with coloured diagrams, fine-art texts, or anything else where colour is of high-importance.
    They are greyscale, yes. It's the tradeoff you get for the high resolution and zero power requirements of e-ink. They're highly optimised for text, obviously.

I was actually pretty skeptical of the usefulness of e-readers, but my wife got one recently and I have to admit it's fantastic. Reading on a backlit LCD screen, even on something nice and light like a netbook or tablet just isn't as pleasant.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is interesting.

Mirasol color ereader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-mPpXeto8

Beans

Hmm, yet to still see a compulsive reason to own such a thing. Notebook size laptops are hardly a chore to carry around, and can do far more task wise than a slate/pad/slab thing.

I can't imagine trying to do on the fly imaging editing on a photoshoot with one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    They are greyscale, yes. It's the tradeoff you get for the high resolution and zero power requirements of e-ink. They're highly optimised for text, obviously.

I was actually pretty skeptical of the usefulness of e-readers, but my wife got one recently and I have to admit it's fantastic. Reading on a backlit LCD screen, even on something nice and light like a netbook or tablet just isn't as pleasant.
    Maybe for novels they maybe ok (as long as you are not a speed reader), but for technical documents and books (any reference material that requires a lot of page turning) they stink. I used a sony e reader a lot for a while there, and it was painful to look anything up in the table of contents, flip to the page, flip back a few pages, flip forward again. The page refresh times are WAY to slow for any practical use (for me), though I am really attracted to the idea of them...

BM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post
    I really can't think of a single reason to own a pad. What do people use them for, apart from looking like tools in cafes?
    couch computing.

I've been skeptical of a netbooks usefulness until I got one for my wife for Christmas. The little device has won me over for casual computing. I could be sitting on the couch and decide I want to look something up- the netbook is sitting there on the ottoman, in sleep mode. 15seconds to wake up and get a wifi connection and I'm ready to go. A tablet device would just be even more convenient. The irony is the netbook is far more flexible and powerful of a device, and costs about 1/2 as much as the ipad. No multitasking is a deal breaker- most times I've got a pdf e-book, a terminal, and at least one FF window open at one time, maybe even an open-office doc or two.

BM

Beans

Hmm, yet to still see a compulsive reason to own such a thing. Notebook size laptops are hardly a chore to carry around, and can do far more task wise than a slate/pad/slab thing.

I can't imagine trying to do on the fly imaging editing on a photoshoot with one.
    not what they are designed for or marketed for.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    it could well be if not for HP's dreadful record with it's consumer line of products.
    Hmm. I have 2 HP laptops and 1 HP desktop along side multiple Dells... I prefer my HPs. All 8 systems are of similar specs...

Beans
    Distro

I really can't think of a single reason to own a pad. What do people use them for, apart from looking like tools in cafes?
    I can think of 2.

1. I replaced the stereo in my car with a computer. I put a 7 inch touchscreen in the dash and ran the USB and VGA cables back to the computer in the trunk and it plays all my music/videos and also does GPS navigation, outputting all video to the screen in the dash. If I had this I could free up my trunk and also remove the 200 feet of cables by simply integrating this all-in-one computer/screen into the dash. It would make my troubleshooting life A LOT easier.

2. I configured my home for automation. From anywhere in the world I can SSH into my desktop (Ubuntu) using my phone (Android) and turn lights/appliances on/off. I can dim lights and also activate the fireplace or garage door (last 2 coming soon). I'm currently trying to place a touchscreen by the front door to turn things on/off as you're coming/going but I don't like the idea of running a VGA cable all the way up from my computer downstairs to the screen by the door. The iPad (or similar pad) could connect to my computer via Wi-Fi to run all the commands or it could even host the server itself.

Voila, 2 of my headaches solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I can tell you something about a turntable.
    I have two of them.
    And a microphone.
    Where it's at.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    1. I replaced the stereo in my car with a computer.
    Wouldn't it just be easier (and a lot cheaper) to use the normal mini-ITX or pico-ITX gear, especially since you can get proper vehicle power supplies for it?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast