Thread: Chrome Profile Backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Chrome Profile Backup

Hi all,

did a quick search through the general help forum but didn't come across anything having to do with my problem (all results were something to do with chromium or FF).

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to backup my user profile for google chrome, and more importantly, figure out how to restore it. On my windows machine there is a simple program you can use, or swap a file out of the google chrome folder. However, I am making the switch to 9.10 for my lappy, and I don't know how to go about this on ubuntu, is there anyone that could help me out?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Chrome Profile Backup

if you want to backup your bookmarks then you can export it to an html file (from the Bookmark Manager). not sure if chrome offers a complete profile backup though.

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you are using Chromium, backup the folder ~/.config/chromium. I don't know where Chrome store profile settings, but could be under ~/.config/Google.

To restore a profile, simply replace the folder with the backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well I am working with chrome, not chrommium...

Also, I am not just trying to backup my bookmarks, but my chrome user profile. This would include saved passwords etc... For some reason chrome doesn't offer and option to do this, unless you use some third party program, or manually find the profile file yourself. I just don't know how to browse to the file/folder in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toddus View Post
    Well I am working with chrome, not chrommium...

Also, I am not just trying to backup my bookmarks, but my chrome user profile. This would include saved passwords etc... For some reason chrome doesn't offer and option to do this, unless you use some third party program, or manually find the profile file yourself. I just don't know how to browse to the file/folder in ubuntu.
    Have you looked into ~/.config/Google as I suggested?

All configuration folders are hidden, so you will need to hit CTRL+H in Nautilus to see them. The .config folder is under your user home directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Have you looked into ~/.config/Google as I suggested?

All configuration folders are hidden, so you will need to hit CTRL+H in Nautilus to see them. The .config folder is under your user home directory.
    okay, thank you, I believe this took me to the folder I needed.

Now can I just copy the files from my windows machine to ubuntu?
    I am looking in this directory in ubuntu:/home/todd/.config/google-chrome/Default

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toddus View Post
    Now can I just copy the files from my windows machine to ubuntu?
    Probably. I don't know how Google Chrome handles for example extensions that are OS specific. I would recommend using an on-line synchronizing extension if available, instead of copying profiles from one OS to another. You could also copy only the files you need, but I can't help you with that, since I'm a Firefox user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On line syncing of bookmarks has worked well for some time. The files you want are in ~/.google-chrome.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog