Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep during movies

Beans

Sleep during movies

Hello. First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who makes the Ubuntu project possible. It's my distribution of choice at the moment--I find it pleasurable most of the time. And now onto the debugging...

I'm runing 9.10 64 on a Toshiba Satellite 64. Everything worked out of the box save for the battery icon. As a workaround, I unloaded gnome-power-manager and use kpowersave instead. It's only a minor hiccup most of the time. Invariably though, my screen will black out during times of perceived dormacy, during movies. I've turned off known options for putting the monitor to sleep in kpowersave, yet she sleeps during movies. Any ideas what's going on? Any fix on getting gnome-power-manager running smoothly?

Merci

Deez

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sleep during movies

What exactly happens with gnome-power-manager? Does it not show you the battery icon? I would suggest you use another system monitor like conky to monitor battery usage. That way, gnome-power-manager will manage the screen dimming and such (which, from your post, seems to work fine??) and you will also know how much battery life you have left.
    Use Dropbox! Sign up using this link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg5Nzc5 and get free space!!
    Registered Linux User #525815
    Check out Musik - a FOSS text-to-music converter!

Beans

Gnome power manager always registers the computer plugged in and charging. I"ll have a look at 'conky'. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Theres a applet for gnome called Inhibit Applet. Just click it and the computer wont go into power saving for any reason. Click it again and it's back to normal. Have you tried that?

Beans

No, I haven't tried that, I'll check it out. Also about gnome power manager, it goes beyond always registering plugged into AC power. IN the power manager, there's no tab for 'battery' options. I can change the options for when its under AC power, but not when it's under batter power. That tab does not exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm...it looks like gnome-power-manager isn't registering the existence of your battery!! Btw, for conky, you will need to configure it to show your battery remaining. I'll post my conky config later so that you can see if it's just a gnome-power-manager issue or something more than that. Also, I am assuming kpowersave does show your battery remaining?
    Use Dropbox! Sign up using this link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg5Nzc5 and get free space!!

Beans

Yeah, it does show my battery remaining. I think this is a known issue with gnome power manager

Cheers

DZ

Beans

So i loaded conky and it conks my computer out. That's an exaggeration, but I do have to run a terminal command to get it up and running and then that's it. Clicking on it, right clickin on it, none of these does anything, no options, no configurations, nada!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, Conky does not interact with the mouse. You have to configure it with a text file called .conkyrc

Beans

OK, where do i find this file? Is conky always visible on the desktop?

Cheers

DEEZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast