Thread: Localized version of Thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Localized version of Thunderbird

Ubuntu official package of the Mozilla Thunderbird, which I think is much better than Evolution as a mail client particularly in its UI usability, is old in version and English only.

If you want to have a localized vesion in different languages, e.g. I am a Japanese, you should go to Mozilla official site to get a tar.bz2 file for Linux.

My question is: an application installed that way becomes an outsider, or a stranger, to the Ubuntu eco-system on user's local system environment. Could we convert it to a legitimate insider, i.e. putting it under the Ubuntu proper package management scheme, via a relatively simple way? If yes, how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Localized version of Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by HiSiskin View Post
    Ubuntu official package of the Mozilla Thunderbird, which I think is much better than Evolution as a mail client particularly in its UI usability, is old in version and English only.

If you want to have a localized vesion in different languages, e.g. I am a Japanese, you should go to Mozilla official site to get a tar.bz2 file for Linux.

My question is: an application installed that way becomes an outsider, or a stranger, to the Ubuntu eco-system on user's local system environment. Could we convert it to a legitimate insider, i.e. putting it under the Ubuntu proper package management scheme, via a relatively simple way? If yes, how?
    What do you mean with "converting it to a legitimate insider"?

Do you mean you want to be able to run it only by the command "thunderbird" and creating launchers? Or du you mean something even more advanced than that?

//Artheus
    Ubuntu server ed. 12.04 x64

Beans

Re: Localized version of Thunderbird

There is a bug in language support: when you install Thunderbird from the repo's in a non-English-Ubuntu, it's still English-only. Reason: the localized language packs from Thunderbird aren't installed automatically....

Solution: run System - Administration - Language Support. The missing localized language packs are then offered automatically (you only have to click "OK").

Of course this shouldn't be necessary. I'm considering filing a bug report on Launchpad.

--Edit--

I've filed a bug report on Launchpad:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rd/+bug/534417

Feel free to support it there!
    Last edited by Pjotr123; March 8th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Mentioned the bug report

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: Localized version of Thunderbird

> Solution: run System - Administration - Language Support.
    Thanks for the valuable answer. I also have learned the term 'Germania Secunda' from Wikipedia!

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    There is a bug in language support: when you install Thunderbird from the repo's in a non-English-Ubuntu, it's still English-only. Reason: the localized language packs from Thunderbird aren't installed automatically....

Solution: run System - Administration - Language Support. The missing localized language packs are then offered automatically (you only have to click "OK").

Of course this shouldn't be necessary. I'm considering filing a bug report on Launchpad.

--Edit--

I've filed a bug report on Launchpad:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rd/+bug/534417

Feel free to support it there!