Thread: gksu - "Incorrect password... try again."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

gksu - "Incorrect password... try again."

I think this started just lately. gksu refuses to authenticate me; it just tells me my password is incorrect. sudo and gksudo both work fine. This is no problem if what I want is in the menu, because I can just change gksu to gksudo, but some functions, like the Check button in Update Manager, don't work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gksu - "Incorrect password... try again."

Weird... gksudo is just a symbolic link to gksu.

Run gksu-properties and make sure that the Authentication mode is set to sudo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Run gksu-properties and make sure that the Authentication mode is set to sudo.
    That was it. It was set to su. Thanks.

Beans

just encountered this issue as well.
    the above solution worked for me. thanks sisco311

I had trouble figuring out that the issue stemmed from a difference in gksu vs gksudo.

Thank god I know how to use google lol

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks this helped me too
    No longer participating......

Beans

Thanks sisco311! I was having exactly the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu Server 11.04 32-bit on my computer, and then I installed xubuntu-desktop ontop of that, and once I had a nice XFCE desktop to play with I discovered that most programs I attempted to run from the System->Administration menu, such as the Synaptic Package Manager, they would pop up asking me for my administrator password.

And no matter how carefully I typed the password, it was always wrong.

After examining the launcher, I discovered that it was using "gksu" to authenticate, and gksu didn't work even though gksudo worked just fine. Following your instructions I ran gksu-properties and indeed the authentication mode was "su". Changed to to "sudo" and voila! No more problem!

I've been banging my head on the wall for days on this one, I was about to toss the entire XFCE installation.

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frosty555 View Post
    Thanks sisco311! I was having exactly the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu Server 11.04 32-bit on my computer, and then I installed xubuntu-desktop ontop of that, and once I had a nice XFCE desktop to play with I discovered that most programs I attempted to run from the System->Administration menu, such as the Synaptic Package Manager, they would pop up asking me for my administrator password.

And no matter how carefully I typed the password, it was always wrong.

After examining the launcher, I discovered that it was using "gksu" to authenticate, and gksu didn't work even though gksudo worked just fine. Following your instructions I ran gksu-properties and indeed the authentication mode was "su". Changed to to "sudo" and voila! No more problem!

I've been banging my head on the wall for days on this one, I was about to toss the entire XFCE installation.

Thank you!

All,

Thanks for posting this solution. I ran across the same problem recently, googled forums for solutions, and came over this thread. It worked for me as well.

Thanks much.

Beans

hi i just tried the gksu with the 11.7 drivers and wow to my surprise i am stuck cus this is all the help i have been able to find on this issue but i do not get any errors nor in the install or anything else. any help would be greatlly apreciated and also i am kind of a nub but not i have been doing this on and of for like 7 years but never as steady as lately and i would greatly appreciate the help i don't know what kind of info i need to provide.