Thread: How do I start my learning of becoming UI designer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How do I start my learning of becoming UI designer?

Hello, sorry if I posted this post in programming section in forums, but I felt compelled to post it. At the moment, I am learning programming of Java as well as Python and soon I will be touching basics of creating user interfaces. Since I have a wild desire to work for a great company or go freelance, I understand that I got to be able to create a design for the interface whether for for a desktop or mobile program. However, the problem is that I have no idea where to start: I searched for blogs as well as books and I picked their advices on how to learn and become designer, but not in related field. For example, I found some blogs that were giving general advice on how to learn designing, but it was biased for people who do web development. The only experience I managed to build and improve is when I was at 6th form doing project for ICT a-level and I had to design a website/slideshow in order to teach kids blah blah blah. But I had to create draft designs and then get students to use user interface to get their opinions as well as suggestion for improvements. I learned a bit, but I felt it's not sufficient for me. So basically I want to start learning from scratch and maybe become a passable-good designer for app development.
    P.s. Should I follow advice about user interface and experience that were given to web developers? and learn some programs such as Photoshop?
    "If you are in hell, keep going." Winston Churchil
    ubuntucrazygeek.blogspot.com
    http://motivatedsuccess.tumblr.com/
    http://pavelexpertov.tumblr.com/

Beans

Re: How do I start my learning of becoming UI designer?

Quote Originally Posted by pavelexpertov View Post
    I am learning programming of Java as well as Python and soon I will be touching basics of creating user interfaces.
    From what I have seen, interface design is done best by designers, not programmers. The design is then implemented by programmers.

Are you asking how to design?
    Or are you asking how to implement (program) a design?

Or are you simply asking how to create a simple application interface, like interactive buttons and text and graphics? If so, then python includes tkinter. Tkinter covers the basic concepts and is pretty easy to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First, become proficient with GTK+. Then, become familiar with various display servers, such as X.org, Wayland, and Mir. Afterwards, learn and become proficient at C/C++, QML, and perhaps XML.

That should at least get you started. Also, think about building off of a pre-existing environment like GNOME rather than making it from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    From what I have seen, interface design is done best by designers, not programmers. The design is then implemented by programmers.
    Regardless, it is important for a designer to become at least familiar with some programming, or a programmer to be familiar with at least some designing. That way everybody is somewhat on the same page when it comes to what can and cannot be done.
    Last edited by King Dude; September 13th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, guys thanks for replies. My question was rather about how to start learning interface DESIGN of applications, but since I would like to have idea and learn about how to implement interfaces into applications, your advice and suggestion certainly prove useful!!!! Thanks again for replies!! Plus, I wondered, do I really need to be proficient at xml so I can design interfaces for android apps? Coz I read some documentation and they mentioned and showed some code of XML.
    "If you are in hell, keep going." Winston Churchil
    ubuntucrazygeek.blogspot.com
    http://motivatedsuccess.tumblr.com/
    http://pavelexpertov.tumblr.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by pavelexpertov View Post
    Plus, I wondered, do I really need to be proficient at xml so I can design interfaces for android apps? Coz I read some documentation and they mentioned and showed some code of XML.
    xml isn't that hard. Plus, in android you really have to "use" xml because Android Studio and eclipse have drag and drop functionality. You might need xml when you are refining some elements of your UI.

To be clear, you can design Android UI without ever learning xml first. You might find it useful to learn it along the way though.
    Last edited by 3v3rgr33n; September 25th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.