Thread: "amd64" for Intel Core i7?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question "amd64" for Intel Core i7?

I'm buying a new computer which has an Intel Core i7 processor. It's an Alienware M15x. This is the first 64-bit capable computer I've owned and I was planning to load a 64-bit version of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

When I used Ubuntu's download page to download the 64-bit version, I ended up with "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso" even though there isn't a place to select the processor family.

Since I'm using an Intel processor, I don't think that the "amd64" version is right, but I can't find anything like an "i686" or "x86-64" version anywhere that I've looked.

Is there a 64-bit version of Ubuntu available for Intel processors?

If not, can someone suggest a good 64-bit distro for Intel-based processors?

Thank you.

--
    Ghodmode
    www.ghodmode.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: "amd64" for Intel Core i7?

Quote Originally Posted by GhodMode View Post
    I'm buying a new computer which has an Intel Core i7 processor. It's an Alienware M15x. This is the first 64-bit capable computer I've owned and I was planning to load a 64-bit version of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

When I used Ubuntu's download page to download the 64-bit version, I ended up with "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso" even though there isn't a place to select the processor family.

Since I'm using an Intel processor, I don't think that the "amd64" version is right, but I can't find anything like an "i686" or "x86-64" version anywhere that I've looked.

Is there a 64-bit version of Ubuntu available for Intel processors?

If not, can someone suggest a good 64-bit distro for Intel-based processors?

Thank you.

--
    Ghodmode
    www.ghodmode.com

Hi
    I think they havent released a version for intel 64 bit am not sure but you can find ubuntu 9.04 for intel 64 bit in the following link
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/
    try this
    NOTE : there are some wireless issues with 9.1 version .

Beans
    Hidden!

Short answer is - yes. AMD64 is the one you want.

64 bit code was supposedly released by AMD (Though I think it's just for show) so just like Intel got to brand their CISC instruction set "x86", AMD was allowed to call the new 64-bit instructions AMD64 though I believe it is all for show.

The place where you will set your processor family is when you recompile your kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok, so I've been doing a little more research and I may have answered my own question.

It's a bit over my head, but it seems like what Intel currently calls "Intel® 64" is actually the same as what Ubuntu's "amd64" version calls "EM64T".

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#...mplementations

So, I should be able to just install the "amd64" version. Can someone confirm this?

I guess I've been caught in the crossfire between Intel and AMD.

-- Ghodmode
    Last edited by GhodMode; March 7th, 2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Add Intel's annoying "registered" symbol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GhodMode View Post
    So, I should be able to just install the "amd64" version. Can someone confirm this?
    Yes, "amd64" is what you want.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」