Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden, unexpected log off

Beans

Sudden, unexpected log off

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 10.04.

Sometimes, when I am typing something (etc email) and press ENTER, or SHIFT ENTER, SOMETIMES ubuntu just log off, and when I need to re-login. But unfortunately all my work is lost and I have to work again.
    I can't understant why it is happening, and how I could avoid this nonsense.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sudden, unexpected log off

10.04 is an alpha OS at the moment and not really for a production environment. Being alpha you must expect some problems, perhaps due to your particular hardware, or maybe something that the devs are still working on.

With no information on your uses of the system or hardware it is difficult to suggest anything except the normal possibilities in this situation such as power supply, overheating, memory problems, etc etc.

Beans

It only happens when I press kind of button configuration related to ENTER. I do not know what exactly, because then I am typing fast It just suddenly log's off. Therefore it can not be power supply, overheating and etc.
    I was just wondering, if there is any similar key configuration to such strange log off, but I did not find anything.
    Anyway, I will wait a bit, maybe it will be fixed, if nobody have similar experience...

Beans

I am experiencing the same thing. It also happens when I open an application. I have been using 10.04 for a total of 10 or 12 hours now and I have been unexpectedly logged off about 20 times. I haven't been able to figure out the cause/trigger.

asus p6t, i7920,6gbRam, gtx260gpu,
    Last edited by dirtfarmer; March 7th, 2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Ok, I've looked into this some more. This is a report on the trigger, I haven't found a solution yet.

After logging on to Gnome desktop for the first time after system boot, it kills xserver the first time the enter/return button is pressed. This happens whether you have any applications running or not. You then have to log back in , and the enter/return key functions properly.

I am a new user and don't know how to report this as an official bug. I forgot to mention that I am running 64bit version of 10.04. And it is fully updated at the time of this posting.

Beans

Gosh! That really annoys me!
    I am just starting to think to get back to illegal Windows...

Video card- NVIDIA GF 7300 GT.
    RAM- 1,5GB
    CPU- Amd Athlon 1800..
    I am new to ubuntu.
    Last edited by djpupeikis; March 8th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I must confirm the same bug existing on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)... Unexpected/Sudden user account logout / logoff. Happens by the combination of some keystrokes (I don't know which).

If I immediately look/view the Log (System Log Viewer), I see messages related to pulseaudio, like this one:

Code:
    pulseaudio[30099]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
    However, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or just misleading everyone.

Let's keep on digging for a solution. We can't permit users switching back to MS hell!
    Ubuntu slavery hurts less than anything else

Beans

I just had a sudden logoff with "Apr 8 07:59:33 V7250 pulseaudio[2266]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting." in my user.log

Was running Firefox, gedit, and System Monitor. Had been logged on for about 10 minutes.

Beans

I am running 9.10. Yesterday I removed Windows Vista and did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.1 only. I had been dual booting for the previous 5 months or so and never had a sudden logoff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the issue of auto-logout in 9.10 although it's no longer big a problem for me. It seems to occur the first time I boot into a hardware configuration (possibly related to the Nvidia driver). If I reboot right away after booting up the first time on the config, the auto-logout doesn't happen again on that set of hardware.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast