Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ureadahead main process (485) terminated with status 5

Beans
    Hidden!

Red face ureadahead main process (485) terminated with status 5

When booting I see that after the white ubuntu logo before gdm. Everything seems to work fine but is that bad? How to fix? Should I try reinstalling Ubuntu for it to go away?

Beans

Re: ureadahead main process (485) terminated with status 5

Hi I just installed ubuntu 10.04 the release and I have the same message just with different process (number), so I would like to know if there is something you did to avoid getting the message.

is there anything wrong with the installation that I get this message?

thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Please read this interesting post by a developer - kabuk. It says to check your /etc/fstab file and see if something fails to get mounted at boot time.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434502

Beans
    Hidden!

I fixed the problem by reinstalling Ubuntu 9.10 (or actually installed Linux Mint first but didn't like it so went back to Ubuntu). I think I got the message cause I had resized and moved partitions after installing Ubuntu so maybe the UUIDs weren't right because of that, though they did show up the same as in my fstab with "blkid" and "ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid" commands.

So my fix is to resinstall Ubuntu but for that it's good to have a separate /home. Or maybe regenerate UUIDs somehow or something, I dunno.

Beans

/dev/disk/by-uuid is the same with /etc/fstab, It seems no problem found,but the problem is that ureadahead still terminated with status 5

Beans

Exactly the same for me! the UUIDs are the same like in /etc/fstab ...

And: "/var/lib/ureadahead/pack" doesn't exist ...

I renamed "/etc/init/ureadahead.conf" to "/etc/init/ureadahead.conf.disabled" but it will not be rewritten even after reinstalling ureadahead ...

I don't understand what's wrong.

plz help,
    thx,
    piedro
    Last edited by piedro; May 11th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you get the message "ureadahead-other main process terminated with status (some number)" then AFAIK removing extra file systems (like ntfs/windows partitions) from fstab works.
    http://tech--help.blogspot.com/2009/...ther-main.html

But my problem was that I had ureadahead and ureadahead-other terminating and fixing the latter didn't fix the former.

But I had that problem two or three months ago and fixed it with a fresh install.

Beans

Seems to be a buggy "ureadahead"-package.

I found this bug on launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ad/+bug/523484

I have /var on a separate partition.

Well, now that's it for the moment it seems ...

cu,
    piedro

Beans

Lightbulb Re: ureadahead main process (485) terminated with status 5

Quote Originally Posted by piedro View Post
    Seems to be a buggy "ureadahead"-package.

I found this bug on launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ad/+bug/523484

I have /var on a separate partition.

Well, now that's it for the moment it seems ...

cu,
    piedro

[SOLVED] OK, so you thought you were smart and installed Ubuntu with /var on its own partition so that way runaway log files can't take down your whole system. (wasn't this theory valid back when hard drives we measured in Megabytes?)

Well I am that smart guy and I got the readahead error.

Here is what I did to fix it. (it worked for me YMMV)

Boot to Ubuntu live CD

Mount /var partition and root partition from the Hard drive. (Just click the drive in Places to see the disks.)

Edit /etc/fstab on the hard drive root filesystem and comment out the line containing /var

Enter the /var partition on the root filesystem and rename the three existing directories appending ".old" (without quotes) to the end of the filename.

Copy the contents of the var partition to the /var folder of the root partition

Copy the contents of the three ".old" directories to their respective directories inside /var on the root partition.

Reboot.

Now in places you should see an unmounted disk which used to be the /var/ partition

Also you should not see the unreadahead error any more.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by webstandardcss View Post
    [SOLVED] OK, so you thought you were smart and installed Ubuntu with /var on its own partition so that way runaway log files can't take down your whole system. (wasn't this theory valid back when hard drives we measured in Megabytes?)

Well I am that smart guy and I got the readahead error.

Here is what I did to fix it. (it worked for me YMMV)

Boot to Ubuntu live CD

Mount /var partition and root partition from the Hard drive. (Just click the drive in Places to see the disks.)

Edit /etc/fstab on the hard drive root filesystem and comment out the line containing /var

Enter the /var partition on the root filesystem and rename the three existing directories appending ".old" (without quotes) to the end of the filename.

Copy the contents of the var partition to the /var folder of the root partition

Copy the contents of the three ".old" directories to their respective directories inside /var on the root partition.

Reboot.

Now in places you should see an unmounted disk which used to be the /var/ partition

Also you should not see the unreadahead error any more.
    Marked this thread as solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast