Thread: eth designation keeps increasing by 1 on reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question eth designation keeps increasing by 1 on reboot

So the thread title kinda sums it up. If i have eth186 and i reboot I have to open wicd and change it to eth187 get connectivity. I'm currently at eth200 so this has been a problem for a while. Any ideas guys?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro

Re: eth designation keeps increasing by 1 on reboot

anyone? bump.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

udev will assign the "ethx" value to each ethernet device it finds on boot with a different MAC address. I've not heard of this issue before. It's almost as if your MAC address is changing. Have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. There should only be one entry for your wired ethernet device and (if you have one) one entry for your wireless device. Are you using wicd instead of NetworkManager? Maybe posting what desktop and version of ubuntu you are using would help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pbrane View Post
    Maybe posting what desktop and version of ubuntu you are using would help.
    As well as whatever had been changed to the standard Ubuntu setup to cause the problem..... but I suspect that amount of detail may fill a screen.....
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I'm using Intrepid and I actually solved it. ACPI failure on the hardware end. I swapped boards and it's no longer a problem. =)