Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse won't start all of a sudden

Beans

Re: Eclipse won't start all of a sudden

After updating to the most recent version of Ubuntu I am having the same problems. Has anyone found a fix to this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

After changing to Eclipse Helios I haven't had problems with Eclipse on 10.4. I'm downloading from the eclipse download site - so not using apt-get. And I'm using the sun-java6 package.

Beans

This started happening to me.

I wonder if its because my java version may have changed?? :

java -version
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Beans

maybe some 32-bit vs 64-bit issue? (was the case for me)

Beans

hmm yea thats a possibility--i mean it makes sense since i think i may have installed some kind of 32 bit plugin. Do you know how i can fix it?? sorry im a complete noob.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. From what I gathered from other information gained from searching the 'net, the problem might be related to XULRunner updates. I do recall that my last update included XULRunner.

I don't have a solution, but perhaps this info might steer someone toward one.

Beans

Re: Eclipse won't start all of a sudden - partly solved for me

I removed xulrunner as suggested here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...se/+bug/583552 and here http://www.dataforte.net/blog/2010/0...es-with-lucid/ but that did not work for me.

Luckily I still had the galileo install and starting that gave me an error message about an error in the log file /home/me/workspace/.metadata/.log.

I cleared the log file and then restarted Helios. Looking through the log file pointed to an empty file in /home/me/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.root/

Code:
    Root exception:
    org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException(/home/pradesh/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.root/28.tree)[567]: java.io.EOFException
            at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:375)
    Since the file was empty I deleted it and restarted it. Helios restarted it but with two slight problems:-
    1. The window decoration looks "plain".
    2. My project entries don't show up in the workbench.

My problem may not be the same as yours, but at least look in the
    /home/me/workspace/.metadata/.log file for a clue.

Good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n0dix View Post
    1. Disabled visual effects and try again.
    2. Try installing manually
    2.1 Download Eclipse IDE from the official web page.
    2.2 Extract in /opt folder.
    2.3 and run: ./eclipse.
    --------------
    I'm revisiting this issue after a long time. I had been using Netbeans during this time. I was surprised to find my own thread as the first result in google. Anyway, if anyone is still having this problem, the solution above worked for me.

Beans

I encountered the same problem after upgrading to 10.10 (and uninstalling/reinstalling Eclipse as that's usually required after a Ubuntu version upgrade to get it to play nicely with CDT), and unfortunately can find nothing that works for it. I've found Google threads that suggest using eclipse -clean, temporarily moving the ~/workbench and ~/.eclipse directories during the initial startup, doing a complete removal/reinstall, uninstalling/reinstalling xulrunner, and similar ones to those here such as removing certain entries in ~/workspace/.metadata.

None of those suggestions have worked, and I can't find any more. I also tried tweaking the config in .eclipse to use the main path (/usr/lib/eclipse) rather than just plugins/..., but no dice there either. Only a direct download from the Eclipse website worked, and that of course does not allow Synaptic/apt to control the upgrades. For the moment, it's what there is, though.

Has anyone had any luck in clearing this up? Everything above that I tried just results in the same error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have now got same problem (Ubu 10.4 64)
    This thread has been marked solved, but what is the solution?
    Or did i miss it?

Edit oh i see no that did not work for me either

I am going to have to go back to old ubuntu or use windoze < until this is resolved.
    Unfortunately i cannot use netbeans (afaik anyway, it does not allow libs to be declared in android projects... or so it would seem)
    Last edited by dgrafix; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    linux might be a headache to set up sometimes, but at least when its set up, it stays set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast