Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I convert VHS to DVD?

Beans

Re: How do I convert VHS to DVD?

I convert VHS to DVD quite a bit with Linux. I use a Hauppauge PVR-250 card which is nice because it encodes straight to MPEG2 ES which is ready to go straight into VOBs without re-encoding. To perform the captures I use all command line tools and can make it very sophisticated since I like to have fine grain control over bitrates, GOP size, audio, etc.. It's really easy to use the v4l2 command line program to set bitrates, resolution, and so forth, and then just use mplayer to dump the input into a file. This process can be scripted as well so it's just as simple as executing a single file.

As far as removing level 1 and 2 macrovision, look for this device http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SCC-Video.../dp/B0000695AO. I've had one of those since the 90's and they work great. There are much simpler ones available with just an input and output and 9V battery. These products are usually sold under the terminology "digital video stabilizer" or something like that. Don't expect to find one called a "macrovison defeater" or "macrovision stripper"!

Beans

Please, is it possible for capture be done with a videocard such as this one on e-bay (link below) with S-Video input, or do you have to have a TV card?

LINK

P.S. ...in Windows XP or Ubuntu Meerkat.

i.e. is the s-video on most cards both input and output?
    Last edited by CJ_Hudson; January 2nd, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the Dazzle DVC 100 video capture cable, I'm close to returning it to Best Buy. I've tried the darn Studio 12 software and VLC (linux and 7) can't seem to get anything to stream from the vcr. Can anyone help me with this, to be honest I don't care if I do it in linux or 7 just need to get these home videos onto dvd...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, stumbled across this thread with a Google search "how to convert disney vhs to dvd." My pal wants to digitize her VHS collection, so she is kinda bummed that the Disney stuff is "copy protected." From what I've read on forums and Wikipedia, looks like this "Macrovision" is to blame for making video rips difficult. Not really sure if it makes sense to prevent the owner from making copies for personal use. On the other hand, I suppose that it's pretty easy to abuse the privilege of "making personal copies."

As far as making a copy, you could make a bootleg copy by positioning a camera on a tripod in front of your TV and playing the video. The quality would suffer a fair amount, though. Ha ha. Also, that enters the territory of breaking any copyrights on the video.

Beans

It's a bugger. I think we own every movie they put out through the late 90's.

Beans

What i have done for a friend is hook up his old vhs machine to his tv tuner card 3 yrs ago that is , and he just recorded it like a tv broadcast . It worked really simple, no extra stuff to buy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When all is said and done, this is the only life you have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123