Thread: Ubuntu Lost Videos Youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu Lost Videos Youtube

Hey guys, this isn't so much a "problem" as much as it is informative to anyone looking to find out how to use Ubuntu. I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I decided the most Beginner Prone Forum.

My channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CJay554

I am basically making video tutorials of many aspects of Ubuntu. I am currently beginning from the very beginning: the installation. From here I move on to introducing the desktop, how to customize your desktop.

I am currently taking any offers as to what you would like me to add. Anything from software, to scripting, to terminal usage. For now I will move from the "top" of the system (the GUI) to the "bottom" (Terminal and Drivers). But don't worry, with time I shall cover many many MANY different pieces of the system. You'll be able to go from amateur to pro. Or at least that's my goal =)

If you're having trouble with any parts of Ubuntu's features or applications please comment here and let me know for future videos!

[OP's if this thread is in the wrong area feel free to move it! I'm sorry for the sloppy placement!]

~Cheers!
    Last edited by CJay554; March 4th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Lost Videos Youtube

Not a request, but a suggestion (which you may be doing already, didnt peek at your link, sorry).

When your "showing" something in the GUI and if there is an equivalent in terminal, show how to do it via command-line, right then and there. Showing how to do 'something' two or three different ways might help poeple, and slowly "breaking" them into command-line might be a good thing.

Just a thought...
    Good luck with your project.

_
    |
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ What was once an opinion, became a fact, to be later proven wrong ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Ubuntu Lost Videos Youtube

Sadly my limit consists of 10 minutes per video, but what I can do is make a sort of two set, a GUI set of videos, and a Terminal set of videos. For now i haven't quite gone through the terminal stuff yet. But if this idea seems fitting to a lot of users I could easily implement it. Thanks for the idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bumpin for more views!

Anyone have ANY ideas as to what other videos i should do?
    So far you can check what i have here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CJay554?feature=mhw5#p/u
    Just browse the bar on the very right for all my videos!

Hope you enjoy them! and you find them insightful!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by iMisspell View Post
    Not a request, but a suggestion (which you may be doing already, didnt peek at your link, sorry).

When your "showing" something in the GUI and if there is an equivalent in terminal, show how to do it via command-line, right then and there. Showing how to do 'something' two or three different ways might help poeple, and slowly "breaking" them into command-line might be a good thing.

Just a thought...
    Good luck with your project.

_
    or it might intimidate them to not even try...

Like it or not, its a Windows world, and Windows users "point and click". I always relay instructions using as little command line as possible. If they want to learn it later, I'm more than happy to help, but I rarely give CLI instructions to a new user. If they *have* to use CLI, I write them out so they can simply cut/paste.

Learning CLI is great.. but 3min after your first install is not the time to learn. I agree w/ how the OP is doing it.. Show everything w/ a GUI.. then maybe do a couple of videos showing GUI options, and their equivalent CLI command.
    Last edited by IndyGunFreak; April 12th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
    Got Ubuntu?

Linux User #436060 http://counter.li.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGUnFreak View Post
    or it might intimidate them to not even try...

Like it or not, its a Windows world, and Windows users "point and click". I always relay instructions using as little command line as possible. If they want to learn it later, I'm more than happy to help, but I rarely give CLI instructions to a new user. If they *have* to use CLI, I write them out so they can simply cut/paste.

Learning CLI is great.. but 3min after your first install is not the time to learn. I agree w/ how the OP is doing it.. Show everything w/ a GUI.. then maybe do a couple of videos showing GUI options, and their equivalent CLI command.
    I figure i just might as well make a side set of videos all pertaining to Terminal Tutorials, as far as usability goes for simple users the videos I have already put up should cover the migration from other systems to Ubuntu. Next up is just creating a set of Terminal Tutorials, but i don't want people to stumble upon the terminal tutorials and think thats what all my tutorials are, and avoid Ubuntu Lost Videos all together because the first video they experienced talked about mumbo jumbo they didn't understand..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys i've added a few videos on how to customize your Ubuntu to look JUST like Windows 7 or Mac OSX, whichever your fancy, as well as many other videos dealing with customization, tips and tricks, and a few recomended apps and how they work! Just giving this thread a little bump to spread the word =)

www.youtube.com/cjay554

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i'll give it a few more bumpity bump bumps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys, whenever i fix my bugs for the gtk-recordMyDesktop in Lucid i'll start making a whole set of new tutorials with 10.04 LTS, and because its an LTS these will stick and will be the base of future releases until the next LTS release. Thanks to those that have subsribed and rated/commented my videos! Time to Unleash the final product =)
    Last edited by CJay554; May 20th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey everyone! I've just started doing the Tutorials for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. It starts at Desktop and moves up. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/cjay554#p/u/9/QoO4Njfr2Es