I've read in many places that multi-boot is a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky - the following method seemed to work for me:
1) Use WinXP installation CD to partition disk, with a partition for WinXP, a partition for Karmic, and free space for Hardy.
2) Install WinXP.
3) Boot Hardy Heron LiveCD and install into the free space.
4) Boot from WinXP installation CD again but only to convert the partition reserved for Karmic to free space.
5) Abort the Windows install and boot into Windows (Grub has disappeared and you can't boot into Hardy)
6) Boot from Karmic LiveCD and install Karmic into the free space.
7) System now boots into Grub2 and allows me to select Karmic, WinXP or Hardy.
Q1) Has anybody else done something like this?
Q2) Can anybody explain WHY this seems to work?