Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: why do all linux music players suck?

Beans

Re: why do all linux music players suck?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post

Audacious, a Winamp skin and Arch Linux with IceWM. Any questions?
    Yeah. What's putting icons on the desktop, and what happens when you click 'My Computer'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll just say that I disagree with the title of the thread as a whole. "All Linux music players suck". What in incredible blanket statement based on one person's opinion.

Until recently, I've used 2 excellent music players. Exaile and Listen. Both are fantastic players, in my opinion. I've since moved on to Guayadeque Music Player. Another fine player in the testing stages that shows great promise. I've been using it as my primary player for several weeks and submitting bug reports and suggestions in the test thread.

There are some players in Linux that I just do not care for, but to say they all suck is just plain ludicrous.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    I used to like Amarok, and Exaile but the removal of the equalizer in both was enough to put me off both.
    Amarok has an Equalizer again, but you'll need the newest version of phonon for it to work (it's included with KDE 4.4 and Qt 4.6).
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

whats wrong with VLC?
    |AMD Phenom II X4 955|8Gb ddr3 1333|GTS250 1Gb|
    Teeth cut on Redhat, Moved to Debian, Loving Ubuntu.

Beans

If I have one principal that I live by it is: Never trust the opinion of anyone that thinks iTunes is a good music player. Bloatiest, most worthless piece of software I've ever seen.

I like several Linux music players personally. Amarok, Exaille, even Rythmbox isn't bad. Unfortunately, for all the good things about them, I still haven't found one with all the features I want. Specifically: replay gain, equalizer (which can save equalizer settings for specific songs), and the ability to tag songs with the rating I put in. Seriously, having to re-rate everything if I switch to a new player, or rename my songs to .oga instead of .ogg (or vice-versa - I forget, but my Droid only recognizes one of the two extensions), or otherwise lose the database is bananas. Still, even though I think iTunes has those features, it lacks so much more...

Beans

As stated before, Banshee does have an equalizer and is probably the music player of all mentioned in this thread, that has the most rapid development speed. 1.6 RC will be out this Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Yeah. What's putting icons on the desktop, and what happens when you click 'My Computer'?
    iDesk runs the desktop icons. Opening "My Computer" goes to the root directory with Xfe, and opening "My Documents" opens the home directory in Xfe.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

If you don't like any of the linux music players. Create a better one. Or help to improve the ones that are available. It's open source so what's stopping you? Buy a windows one and run it in wine.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I disagree.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2 View Post
    If you don't like any of the linux music players. Create a better one. Or help to improve the ones that are available. It's open source so what's stopping you? Buy a windows one and run it in wine.
    not everyone is a programmer

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast