Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can i get rid of windows after I installed with WUBI?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Can i get rid of windows after I installed with WUBI?

Why would you do such a thing?
    I just tried it out in a virtual machine to see whether is it possible.

Please look at my first post. I clearly pointed out Wubi's flaws and recommended a fresh install as the best option. But I still see it as my duty to point out all the options, in particular since various of the claims made in this thread by other people are plainly wrong.
    Last edited by meierfra.; March 2nd, 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Beans

i would of never used wubi if i knew it done that. The problem is, when i wanted to install Ubuntu normally it made me shrink my windows partition to split it half. I need it to only take up 10 gb right now because windows has too many "unmovable" files! so i have no way to install ubuntu into a SMALL partition without wubi? I have all the data i need off the computer. But i need Ubuntu in a partition that is only 10gb is that possible? But i need windows for another week and then i want to delete it then expand ubuntu. But i now want to do a full install of ubuntu into a small partition 10gb
    Last edited by jeremyleroy96; March 2nd, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meierfra. View Post
    Wrong. Grub2 is able to boot Wubi without any help from the Window MBR.
    Where's the documentation on that?

Once Wubi is installed, it is completely independent from the Window operating system. I have personally run Wubi, after deleting Windows and without using LVPM
    Hmm, like I said, that's not what the documentation says. From the FAQ and the Guide...
    How does Wubi work?

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu
    which allows you to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the Windows file system (c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.
    How do I uninstall it?

You uninstall it as any other applications. In Windows go to the control panel and select "Add or Remove Programs", then select Wubi/Ubuntu and uninstall it.
    ...in particular since various of the claims made in this thread by other people are plainly wrong.
    *ring ring!!* "Hello, Kettle? This is Pot..."
    Last edited by hhh; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Where's the documentation on that?
    Hardly any of the more advanced features of Grub 2 are documented. That's why I do lots of testing myself and figure out what can be done with Grub2.

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the Windows file system (c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.
    I completely agree with these statement and I never claimed otherwise.

The first sentence tells you that Wubi uses the Windows boot loader to boot Wubi. But it does not claim that there is no other way to boot Wubi.
    I'm personally booting Wubi with Grub 2.

The second sentence tells you that Wubi is a file in the Window file system. I never claimed that Wubi is independent from the Windows file system, but it is independent from the Windows operating system.

You uninstall it as any other applications. In Windows go to the control panel and select "Add or Remove Programs", then select Wubi/Ubuntu and uninstall it.
    So what?
    You can delete a regular Ubuntu install by reformatting or deleting the Ubuntu partition in Windows disk management. Does that make Ubuntu dependent on the Windows operating system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyleroy96 View Post
    i would of never used wubi if i knew it done that. The problem is, when i wanted to install Ubuntu normally it made me shrink my windows partition to split it half. I need it to only take up 10 gb right now because windows has too many "unmovable" files! so i have no way to install ubuntu into a SMALL partition without wubi? I have all the data i need off the computer. But i need Ubuntu in a partition that is only 10gb is that possible? But i need windows for another week and then i want to delete it then expand ubuntu. But i now want to do a full install of ubuntu into a small partition 10gb
    i personally have never had a problem resizing my windows partitons from linux, but you should really do any ntfs partitioning from windows.

first thing is make sure you have all your data you need from ubuntu backed up. then delete your wubi install.

defrag your hard disk. now's where it gets tricky. you need to get a partitioning program. windows does have a basic one but i've never used windows 7 so i don't know if it lets you resize. i've used that before.

create a partition of whatever size you want, and install ubuntu to it.

you CAN resize your windows partitions from ubuntu, but because of file fragmentation it isn't really recommended.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Wrong. Grub2 is able to boot Wubi without any help from the Window MBR. ... I have personally run Wubi, after deleting Windows and without using LVPM
    Wow -- that is impressive!!

Now, if only the folks that maintained (?) the Wubi guide could get around to adding that info, and what additional tweaks are needed to get the thing working with a preinstall Win7 machine -- we would see a massive drop in the "wubi doesn't work" posts on this forum.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

i don't need the wubi install i have only had it for a day. So how do i install ubuntu into a 10gb partition? The problem is that windows has some unmovable files and i can not make a partition any bigger then 10gb without my windows going corrupt!

Edit: I just read i can keep my wubi okay so can i just extend the partition after deleting windows? I might just want to get a working ubuntu but i guess i prefer it to be normal but if wubi will work i have no problem with keeping it as long as there are no disadvantages
    Last edited by jeremyleroy96; March 3rd, 2010 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monkeh View Post
    i personally have never had a problem resizing my windows partitons from linux, but you should really do any ntfs partitioning from windows.

first thing is make sure you have all your data you need from ubuntu backed up. then delete your wubi install.

defrag your hard disk. now's where it gets tricky. you need to get a partitioning program. windows does have a basic one but i've never used windows 7 so i don't know if it lets you resize. i've used that before.

create a partition of whatever size you want, and install ubuntu to it.

you CAN resize your windows partitions from ubuntu, but because of file fragmentation it isn't really recommended.
    The guy who says you can save your Wubi install goes against conventional wisdom. While it may be possible, it doesn't sound like something I would or could do. I've been familiar with Linux for 10 years, and I have been running emulators and such from virtual files systems (which is what the Wubi install does) for even longer. What meierfra is saying is undocumented; even if he's 100% correct, no one else has apparently duplicated what he has done.

I think I can pretty fairly say that I know what I'm doing with disk management. I've been running multiple operating systems from a single hard disk or from multiple disks on a single computer for over 20 years. I have intact data that originally was written to 90 or 180 KB single-sided 5.25" floppy disks that's pushing 30 years old that I can bring up in a matter of a minute or two on one of my computers.

The quotes above from Post Monkeh are the most straightforward advice posted in this thread yet. I have done this with Windows 7 more times than I care to say. But in the past week, I've had Debian 5, OpenSUSE 11.2, a Wubi install of Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 9.10 installed back on a primary partition. This is just on my laptop with Windows 7, and Windows 7 is still intact. It's had Grub 2, Vista/7 bootloader and now Grub 1 on the MBR in that time too.

Yes, I'm nuts, and have nothing better to do with my time. I even toyed with the idea of installing Gentoo just last night.

Do a disk cleanup and a defrag to free up as much room as possible. Usually the biggest unmovable file in Windows is the swap file. Try turning off virtual memory and reboot before trying to shrink the Windows partition and see if that frees up some room. Windows has a tendency to put that file almost exactly in the middle of any free space the disk actually has. Also delete any system restore files or just turn off System Restore before you do the defrag. After you've turned off Virtual Memory and System Restore, reboot and do a defrag, then see how big that free space can be. Be aware that it's possible to access the Windows NTFS partition(s) of your disk in Ubuntu (using Mount Manager) once Ubuntu is installed.

You can get by with 10GB for an install of Ubuntu. It's not a hog like Windows is for disk space. Follow the advice above. Go to computer management under Administrative Tools, then Disk Management to shrink the Windows partition. Make sure you leave the part of the disk you want to use for Ubuntu as unpartitioned. It should be color coded black and labeled "unallocated."

The partitioner in Ubiquity (the Ubuntu installer) will give you the option to install Ubuntu in the largest contiguous unused space. That's the option to choose after you have gone to all this trouble. Once you have gotten rid of Windows, Gparted will allow you to enlarge the Ubuntu / partition so you can then use your whole drive later.

I'm guessing you are running the release candidate (Windows 7 RC) that's become a pain. I think it will still run for up to two hours at a time for another 3 months.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../dd353205.aspx

Watch the calendar: The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.
    Last edited by djchandler; March 4th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Distro

Just for clarification:

1) If Wubi and the Window OS are on the same partition, one of course cannot delete that partition without deleting Wubi. But one can delete all the files on that partition except the Ubuntu directory.

2) If Wubi and the Windows OS are on separate partition, (or the Ubuntu directory has been moved to a separate ntfs partition), one can safely remove the partition containing the Windows OS.

3) There is nothing mysterious about my claims. All I'm saying is that Grub 2 is able to boot Wubi and that Wubi does not depend on the Windows operating system.

4) In a case like this, where all the data is backed up and Wubi was only run for a couple of days, I strongly recommend to get rid of Wubi and do a fresh install.

The problem is that windows has some unmovable files and i can not make a partition any bigger then 10gb without my windows going corrupt!
    Since you are planing to delete Windows in a couple of weeks, why don't you just wait. Once you are ready to delete Windows, install Ubuntu with the "use entire hard disk" method.

Edit: I just read i can keep my wubi okay so can i just extend the partition after deleting windows?
    Although it should be possible, I don't know how to extend the Wubi partition without Windows.

if wubi will work i have no problem with keeping it as long as there are no disadvantages
    Everybody in this thread seems to agree on one thing: a regular install is better. I have seen cases where Wubi has vanished after an unclean shutdown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12