Thread: HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by venik212 View Post
    I hope this is the right place for this question:
    Under Windows, WinEdt has a button to compile a TeX file (pdflatex) as many times as it needs to, until it resolves all references, etc. With Kile I have to click on the PDFLATEX button several times to get the same effect. Is there a setting to avoid that, and tell Kile to repeat it as often as it needs to?
    Thanks,
    I don't know if this will help, but there is an option under "Settings > Configure Kile > Build > PDFLateX > General ... rerun LaTeX when necessary"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post
    What we really need is a decent Gnome *TeX IDE. The Kile interface makes me cringe every time I use it.
    There is the LaTeX plugin for Gedit...you won't be able to compile directly from Gedit with just this though but its still pretty nice . I find kile to be a little more powerful though.

http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/LaTeXPlugin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

Hi everyone

I'm just wondering, has anyone tried WineFish? The name is somewhat inappropriate, but who knows?

Beans

I think that kile has a lot of potential as a tex editor and would like to continue using it.
    I also like texlive as it is well maintained and up to date.
    But this method of installation is now annoying me.
    Because I installed kile from source, I don't have help files so I don't know how to install english or other language dictionaries.
    A font for displaying accents and umlaute in Kile are also missing. I like to use the ae package so I don't have to encode accents. I use an international keyboard layout instead. Because the fonts are missing such characters are displayed as little squares.
    Texmaker is not a viable alternative as it is missing project features (needed for my disertation) and will not even attempt to display accented characters.

The most annoying thing now is that I don't know what command to use to uninstall kile as it was compiled from source (according to this how to) and is not from the repositories.

How can I uninstall it and start again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you could do
    Code:
    dpkg -r packagename
    and remove all the instances of kile manually...

unfortunately, i am not familier with use of languages other than english..sorry that i could not be of help there...

EDIT: i just realized that you cannot use dpkg here...
    I think the best way is to remove it manually
    Last edited by neoflight; June 21st, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, I am new to linux (just getting familiar with the terminal) but have used LaTeX with XP for a few years. I just installed TeXLive 2007 and then Kile 2.0.0, but I have been unsuccessful in "linking" them together. I tried to follow the description in the original post very closely (I got a little confused around section 3). When I try to complie a simple TeX document in Kile, I get

[LaTeX] Test => Test.dvi (usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/latex)
    [LaTeX] finished with exit status 127
    [LaTeX] 0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 badboxes

and a similar thing when I try to view the .dvi file. The document does not show up, and I am not sure what is going wrong. My guess is something is incorrect with my directories. I use LaTeX everyday, so it is important that I get it working soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It seems you haven't installed the kdvi package. The kdvi is the .dvi previewer set by default on Kile.

Just go to Synaptic Package Manager, search for 'kdvi' and install it.

Beans

I'm just started to use Kile and I had already setup the correct path for each command except:

P/S:
    * I installed texlive2007 via repository

I had some path for commands as below (shown in [Configure Kile] -> [Tools] -> [Build]) which I had not yet set because I didn't know what is the corresponding file used by texlive. Hopefully you can setup the path or recommend other tools that does the commands. Regards.

1. Forward Dvi
    2. Lilipond
    3. Ps2Pdf
    4. ViewBib
    5. ViewPdf (currently using Kpdf, is there any other else that offers great functionality?)
    6. Dvi2Png
    7. DBLatex
    8. Tar
    9. Asy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi there, I am using texmaker and other KDE apps in gnome to write a latex text and these programs suddenly and very frequently alternate imput methods and I can no longer type accented characters. I then have to go into SCIM input method and activate my keyboard layout again. This is very annoying. Do you guys experience this behavior as well? How can I fix it?
    Life sux, then you die.

Beans

I ran into the same problem and figured out what's wrong. I suppose your problem had the same cause as mine.

Run command 'which latex' to see which latex is used by Kile. If it's /usr/bin/latex, congrats! You installed two TeX distributions, for example, one TexLive and one TeTex. In my case, I installed two TexLive. The one made trouble is an older version of texlive, installed as a depended package of Doxygen. It doesn't contain IEEEtran*.

Therefore, though you installed the newest TexLive, Kile still uses the other TeX. In the old TeX's databse, there's no IEEEtran* style files. That led to the mysterious failure. Later you used a full path to specify latex commands, and then Kile locates the newer TexLive installation.

Solution:
    sudo apt-get remove [tex-distribution-name]

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Oh No! I am such a bad user! I did not read the manual in full!
    I assumed that since it was possible to use LaTeX, and bibtex, from the command line, it was okay to leave Kile default configuration!!!!!!
    Since my last post, I did add the full path in front of the commands I use the most (pdflatex, latex, bibitex) and since I no longer have this missing package problem for either IEEEtranS, or IEEEtrantools. My document compile without problems!

Geez, neoflight you were right all along I needed to double check the configuration of kile. Perhaps, it would be a nice addition to your how-to to stress that even though the path is correctly setup (all executables are accessible from the command prompt) you still need to configure kile with the full path!

that is my problem sorted!

thanks a lot again.

Ar@mi$ back to basics : learn how to read, and follow instructions to the letter.
    Last edited by jefflee; December 7th, 2011 at 05:07 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast