Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB and external HD not mounting

Beans

USB and external HD not mounting

I have a western Digital USB HD that when connected the light comes on the drive and the drive makes a repeated dull clicking noise and never lets me view the drive. I connect the same drive and USB cable to another PC running 9.04 that works perfect on. I can connect my Black berry to the very same USB port and cable it works fine. I also put a new USB card in the PC and still same issue.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB and external HD not mounting

The clicking is a good sign your drive is failing. Will work sometimes on some OS but not always. Use HD tools (ie. smartmontools) to check the health of the drive. Might not be fully gone yet but will likely be soon. Backup asap before you loose your data. Same happened to me few years ago...
    "When life only tosses you lemons, get some salt & tequila...& get ready for a long night!"

Beans

I don't suspect it's failing. It's done this since new (two months now) and has always worked very well on any PC but MINE???

Just booted the PC with a live cd of Kubuntu and same thing, blackberry plugged in and I can access it, memory stick plugged in and I can access it. I'v tried many different BIOS settings but no luck with the damn drive.

Beans

Have you tried the mount terminal command and/or did your hard drive come with an install CD?
    By the way, are your friends/other peoples windows or mac? Try accessing it on another Ubuntu computer.

Beans

I mounted it a few months back with similar results. I since have reinstalled ubuntu. The other PC's have been same version ubuntu and two other Win PC's.

Is there a specific IRQ USB is suppose to use on ubuntu?

Yodal,
    I have the similar sign in my all sd cards after update to 9.10.
    I wish: It's incident with new Karmic.
    My cards are mount with smartmontools, but in one minute or two it isn't enable for use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by yodal View Post
    I have a western Digital USB HD
    Is it bus powered? Some USB ports don't supply enough power for some portable hard drives and produce symptoms just like those you describe. Self powered devices like your Blackberry are unaffected, as are external hard disks with their own power supplies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    Is it bus powered? Some USB ports don't supply enough power for some portable hard drives and produce symptoms just like those you describe. Self powered devices like your Blackberry are unaffected, as are external hard disks with their own power supplies.
    That was it John, I got a powered USB hub and things took care of them selfs!

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Glad to help. Been there once, used the same fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have an external WD USB drive as well. Similar problem. Drive has been working on 9.04 and previous w/o problems. My Dell 630 laptop has plenty of power to run the drive. But, cannot see the drive. The light comes on, but the system ignores it.

Any thoughts folks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast