Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Gnome Shell themes thread... ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The Gnome Shell themes thread... ...

Quote Originally Posted by mudrain911 View Post
    ive been having trouble with the calendar and notifications lately... they are causing my whole screen to go black or flicker, then everything goes back to normal like it never happened hah... i dont know, hopefully they will fix.
    The icons on my panel have been playing up for a couple of weeks now, when I start up they are ok but they "change" after a couple of minutes and the machine slowly becomes unusable (this is on my desktop). If I try to go into the user list to restart or anything in that, like change my start up programs, I have approx 5 seconds to click on the correct spot because after that the menu changes into minuscule program icons.

My gut feeling is the code isn't working very well and that it probably needs tidying up. While everything was just basic code it was fine but each new update just makes it worse for me.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    The icons on my panel have been playing up for a couple of weeks now, when I start up they are ok but they "change" after a couple of minutes and the machine slowly becomes unusable (this is on my desktop). If I try to go into the user list to restart or anything in that, like change my start up programs, I have approx 5 seconds to click on the correct spot because after that the menu changes into minuscule program icons.

My gut feeling is the code isn't working very well and that it probably needs tidying up. While everything was just basic code it was fine but each new update just makes it worse for me.
    I havent had any slowing down problems, its just when i click the clock at the top expecting the dropdown, my screen turns black. if i move my mouse or click again it goes back to normal, no problems other than that... its weird. and notifications animate fast and all, but like every 4th or 5th one the screen with flicker, and then it jus goes back to its business lol. idk, it seems like badly organized code to me, but i cant say much because i cant fix any of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Big changes in gnome shell. They principally come from the implementation of chat in notifications. It is not working perfectly, but it is working if you use empathy. The theming of it was a little strange but not difficult. Appended then are some screenshots of what's new, what's not, and the css file. njoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Morning people.

Funny that some have mentioned issues with the icons on gnome shell, I am planning a redesign of the icons to fit better with some of the colour schemes, that's once I get my graphics tablet working on lucid, which has been the main focus of my attention as I need it for other graphical work.

I have updated the first page of the thread and included a couple of links to various posts with new/updated themes.

I'm currently running gs from the testing ppa on lucid beta 2, it seems pretty stable, I haven't had any issues with icons, or the calender pop out, currently with the default theme until I have more time to make some new variations, again once my graphics tablet is working on lucid.

Cheers.
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    Morning people.

Funny that some have mentioned issues with the icons on gnome shell, I am planning a redesign of the icons to fit better with some of the colour schemes, that's once I get my graphics tablet working on lucid, which has been the main focus of my attention as I need it for other graphical work.

I have updated the first page of the thread and included a couple of links to various posts with new/updated themes.

I'm currently running gs from the testing ppa on lucid beta 2, it seems pretty stable, I haven't had any issues with icons, or the calender pop out, currently with the default theme until I have more time to make some new variations, again once my graphics tablet is working on lucid.

Cheers.
    Hey Techno-Mole.

My intent when I can get the time to spend with my desktop is to do a minimal install and try G-S again. I just haven't done it yet because I am using my desktop for sorting my video and music collection and it's taking alot of time. As for my laptop while G-S will work with Lucid I find the laptops specs just aren't good enough to do G-S any justice.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still see that as a stumbling block for gnome shell, the fact the a good few systems just won't run it, or run it well, the main reason I hope they don't make it a default option.

Anyway my tablet is working again, running nice and smooth on lucid beta 2 (fully updated)
    It's a trust tb-6300 slimline tablet, I wrote a how to for installing the driver on karmic and lucid, although the lucid section needs adjusting to allow for the new way of doing things, so as soon as i have a bit of spare time I shall set about trying to design some new icons for the various aspects of the shell.

Cheers.
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have noticed something strange this morning, whilst trying to run virtualbox while gnome shell is running.

For some reason if gnome shell is running and I run virtualbox it doesn't show the guest operating system window ? even clicking on " show " in virtualbox doesn't bring up the window.

Anyone noticed this ? or know of anyone that has ?

Cheers.
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    I have noticed something strange this morning, whilst trying to run virtualbox while gnome shell is running.

For some reason if gnome shell is running and I run virtualbox it doesn't show the guest operating system window ? even clicking on " show " in virtualbox doesn't bring up the window.

Anyone noticed this ? or know of anyone that has ?

Cheers.
    I just tried it with both a Linux host and Windows host and was fine.
    This is running the latest GNOME Shell via source and Virtualbox 3.1.6 PUEL in Karmic
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi guys!

This thread has inspired me to write a little script to help manage gnome-shell themes.

Please note that it's still considered BETA, so please use at own risk.
    You can get the code on github: http://github.com/andrewebdev/gsthemer

I also wrote a short blog about it: http://andre.engelbrechtonline.net/b...s-gnome-shell/

I welcome any critique and tips.

PS: Disclaimer - At the time of writing the application, blog entry, and this forum post, I dont have gnome-shell installed cause my main laptop is in for repairs. The application should work in theory, as I created "dummy" gnome-shell folders to test theme switching etc.

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro

2 things that made gnome shell usable for me as my main environment:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...shell&page=168
    my post on installing gnome3 session (debian package) - scroll down to petejk

and moving the close/min/max buttons to the left,
    sudo gconf-editor
    click to desktop/gnome/shell/windows

change value to :minimize,maximize,close

This means I can log on into gnome3
    plus, the button layout is the same as lucid

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast