Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Ubuntu CAD station

Beans

Re: My Ubuntu CAD station

Quote Originally Posted by acornbrain View Post
    I do architectural drafting for a manufactured housing company. At work, we use AutoCAD (Windows).

Have not yet tried Wine (only been on Ubuntu for a few days) is it fairly straightforward to install and use?

If I were to use wine to run Autocad..what is the procedure? Install Wine and then pop in the AutoCad startup disk and see what happens?
    You can install wine in synaptic. Then upon right-clicking on setup.exe (or whatever) on your install cd you can choose Open with Wine.

As far as I know the last version of AutoCAD that worked under wine was R14. If you want to have a later version you can either install a virtual machine or dual boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acornbrain View Post
    I do architectural drafting for a manufactured housing company. At work, we use AutoCAD (Windows).

I'm thinking about switching my home OS over completely to Ubuntu.

I went from an office that used AutoCAD 2006 to one using 2009. (I can't tell any difference except the silly "ribbon" that we do not use anyway.) I would not want to return to pre-2006 autocad because I like the dynamic blocks feature.

Have not yet tried Wine (only been on Ubuntu for a few days) is it fairly straightforward to install and use?

If I were to use wine to run Autocad..what is the procedure? Install Wine and then pop in the AutoCad startup disk and see what happens?

Will macros I've written in VBA and LISP run normally?
    According to winehq appdb 2009 is "garbage" on wine. I did mess around with 2008 and it did run alright. Eventually dug up an old copy of XP and went back to a dual boot system (sigh) for the first time in 3 years after switching to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I at first thougt qcad was too primtive. Now I'm rather starting to like it for exactly that reason for teaching drafting. The fact that you have to do most of the work helps students understand the basic principals. Later on they will be more effective with more sophisticated CAD since they will know what the computer is doing for them.

That, and Google should get off their **s and port Sketchup. Hopefully by the time they release their OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by verbalshadow View Post
    I haven't tried most of this apps but there is a list at Gnome Files Graphic/Design section and you might also look at Blender it exports to DXF and many other formats as well. It also Exports to
    RADIANCE
    Amen to your last, and Semper Fi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by verbalshadow View Post
    I haven't tried most of this apps but there is a list at Gnome Files Graphic/Design section and you might also look at Blender it exports to DXF and many other formats as well. It also Exports to
    RADIANCE
    The link is borked. http://gnomefiles.org/index.php?xcon...de=322x323x324 will get ya there, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It is a 6 year old post.

Old thread closed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456