Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My Ubuntu CAD station

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Re: My Ubuntu CAD station

Sad but true: nothing beats Sketchup for ease of use, flexibilty and price for 3d work. If sketchup was availab;e for linux, I would have delete my windows partition years ago.

Qcad? I use AUtocad daily and most CAD software use the same concept and shorcuts. You can invent a car that steers with your feet and uses handoperated brakes but no one will buy it. HenriFord and Benz a century ago decided the basic car control layout. Dont tell me about motorbikes ; you can't do half the things a car does with a bike. It's the same with some software like autocad which established itself as leader in the field.

All this to say I tried Qcad but dropped it because it wasn't possible at the time remap the keyboard shortcuts.

Now that googlesketchup is here, that's my package of choice for all around use. (I use autocad and SUpro at work).
    Last edited by dalani; October 28th, 2006 at 12:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

epilogue: for anyone still interested in Cycas it's the only linux cad program I have on my computer. I've even done some decent renderings with POV with Cycas3. But since Sketchup5 and googles's free version of sketchup, it\s hard to stick with Cycas. Many have requested a linux version of SU and that might happen someday.
    Last edited by dalani; October 28th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Here is test rendering of my kitchen done with Cycas demo and POV (which i've barely explored) great renderings are possible and cycas integrates POV in situ. But for modeling, Cycas could use more intuitive tools. My model can be done in Sketchup in a matter of minutes without pre-amble. Cycas required more planning...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great information here, folks. Thanks a bunch!

Most of the CAD products referenced here are slanted more toward 3D... what I am looking for is CAD that I can use to create engineering and surveying maps. That is, a subdivision plat or engineering design plans for, say, a roadway.

I haven't tried qcad yet, but I wanted to check here before I got too excited.

Edit: I should note that I currently use AutoCad 2006 in Windows XP, but I don't use all of the functions simply because all I need to create is a 2D map.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What about BRL-CAD?

It has a deb package here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=113559

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by LKRaider View Post
    Software like Autocad and SketchUp that are of daily use on my WinXP install just don't have up-to-par alternatives on the Linux world. ...
    And I am not even going to mention the dreaded DWG closed-format market dominance...

Can't Mark Shuttleworth just buy these companies and OpenSource them?
    That would be the coolest thing ever!!

AutoDesk is one of the largest and most influential companies behind groups like the Software Business Alliance who specialize in investigating and closing down companies for software license violations along with Micro$oft, so I don't think they will come over to the FOSS world on their own.
    --| There is serenity in Chaos.
    --| Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane.
    --| http://montanamax.net

Beans

I know this post is going to make me look stupid. But the only 3d design type work i have ever done is for game maps. what does say auto cad offer that qeradiant does not. or are they just 2 completely different program types.i have never used auto cad but from what i understand it lets you make 3d models of items with your pc which is also what qeradiant does. does it just have a much larger functionality. (like paint compared to photoshop) or is it more like the difference of gimp to photoshop (bad interface to good and photoshop has more function that i will never use) or is it like comparing apples to oranges?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Autocad is used for professional work, that is, architects, engineers, etc who need to correctly draw plans and schematics according to standards and rules, plot them in different paper sizes and so on.

The problem is Autocad is so integrated on the workflow of these professions it is almost impossible to replace it. Talk about company lock-in. Autodesk has a monopolistic lock-in of several of these projectual professional fields all over the world.

Beans

Re: My Ubuntu NX4 station

Hope this thread gets noticed, been dead a while. I saw a screenshot of NX4 running on ubuntu posted by one "whiprush". The guy's like a phantom; google hits up the wazoo but never a point of contact.

Anyway, does anyone know how to install NX4 on ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: My Ubuntu NX4 station

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast