Thread: post karmic wireless issues all solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking post karmic wireless issues all solved

All my wireless issues have been fixed! After installing Karmic my Atheros wireless stopped working. looking around, madwifi is no longer needed as ath5k is in the restricted kernel.

looked in the various blacklist files and sure enough ath5k was blacklisted (most likely by madwifi when I originally installed it).
    rebooted and nothing still no wifi, so I added ath5k to the end of /etc/modules rebooted and now network manager sees my wireless and I can connect to the Internet. Only problem is its does not connect until after I've logged in. I have a shared printer connected to this computer so it needs to have the network connect when the computer turns on, which I was able to do by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file prior to karmic. Now that no longer seems to work.
    Installed wicd (followed these instructions http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/Wicd%20on%20Ubuntu) set up the wireless connection and Wow now it just works!
    wicd is fantstic, works much better then network manager! and it connects when the computer boots!

Beans

Re: post karmic wireless issues all solved

How do you find this "blacklist"? I am new to Ubuntu and have never tried the Terminal or command line for anything. I hate to say it, but it would probably be an undertaking for me to find THAT let alone manipulate it!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

look in /etc/modprobe.d there are several files there are several blacklist files there, just look through them

Beans

I enter etc/modprobe.d and I see something called blacklist-ath_pci.conf i can open it but I dont know how to delete it or edit it because it it read only, the same thing happens when I try to ad ath5k ad the end of modules, could someone help (I'm new to ubuntu)

Beans

Look at this post, he is doing somewhat the same thing (it does require the terminal though).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...51&postcount=3