Thread: 9.10 not fully loading KDE desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arrow 9.10 not fully loading KDE desktop

This has happened to me twice in a row while installing kubuntu 9.10 on the same machine:

I get the OS installed and it prompts me to reboot the machine. I do so. On the first reboot, the KDE login screen never loads, and I just get a blank black screen.

I then do a hard reset. From there, everything appears to work. I use the machine for awhile and all is well. For whatever reason, I end up rebooting, and when I log back in to KDE, not only do I not get my custom wallpaper, but I also don't get any desktop icons, a taskbar, etc. Right-clicks don't even work. The only thing that was loaded both times was the terminal that I had left open the last time.

I have no idea why this occurs. I'm in the middle of installing it for the third time today. Can anyone provide any insight?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 9.10 not fully loading KDE desktop

Bump

Beans
    Distro

Well, I just figured out what the CAUSE is. If I switch my window appearance to Klearlooks, the desktop will not come back.

How on earth can I switch back it something else via the shell??

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Eureka - I fixed it by setting it back to oxygen via the shell. My kdeglobals file was in /home/$USER/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE...le_for_widgets

Set Oxygen style for widgets

The default KDE widget style on Windows is the native one. The Oxygen style installs with basic KDE installation (as a plugin library %KDEROOT%\lib\kde4\plugins\styles\oxygen.dll), so it can be used as well. To set it for a single user:

1. edit kdeglobals
    2. locate the General section (a line containing the text "[General]"). If there is no General section, create one.
    3. Within the General section ([General]), edit the line containing widgetStyle=.... so that it reads widgetStyle=oxygen. If there is no such widgetStyle=... line, create it.

Newly started applications should be displayed with the Oxygen style now.

Beans
    Distro

Can someone else confirm this on their machine so I can submit this as a bug?

Also, would this be a KDE bug or a Kubuntu bug?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bro you definately just had a conversation with yourself via Thread posts. Awesome!!

And now my woes. Whenever I select KDE as a session and login KDE doesnt start, it'll do that splash screen/start up sound but then nothing loads. except Gnome-do
    Ubuntu User #30623 - Ubuntu 10.04 /InfinityOS
    "Why do you have flies in your freakin house? I
    noticed this earlier. It's southern California and I have fruit.You put zombie and you put eerie in the title and I don't wanna do it."

Beans
    Distro

What window decorations did you select in KDE? Go back and read my monologue carefully.