Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Hello, everyone!
    I'm totally new at linux stuff, but highly impressed how fast my old S10-3t runs under Ubuntu. Everything came "out of the box" but just little thing I'm eager to clear out:
    How to enable multitouch?
    I've been digging about it for days. There are many old threads and info about custom drivers, packs, setting in files and so on. As far as my limited abilities in undersatnding all this allowed I couldn't make it work. Singe-touch mode (Protocol A?) works fine, but I'm sure there's an easy way to enable multi-touch. As wise guys say, the kernel of latest Ubuntu 12.04 I installed is to support it.
    Please, enlighten me as I wander in the darkness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Boberman View Post
    Hello, everyone!
    I'm totally new at linux stuff, but highly impressed how fast my old S10-3t runs under Ubuntu. Everything came "out of the box" but just little thing I'm eager to clear out:
    How to enable multitouch?
    I've been digging about it for days. There are many old threads and info about custom drivers, packs, setting in files and so on. As far as my limited abilities in undersatnding all this allowed I couldn't make it work. Singe-touch mode (Protocol A?) works fine, but I'm sure there's an easy way to enable multi-touch. As wise guys say, the kernel of latest Ubuntu 12.04 I installed is to support it.
    Please, enlighten me as I wander in the darkness.
    Afraid I don't have this laptop any more so not sure how much I can help.

Could you run lsinput and lsmod | grep cando and post the results of both, and we'll go from there.

Beans

MadnessRed, many thanks for being ready to help!
    lsinput displayed Cando multitouch nicely:

/dev/input/event10
    bustype : BUS_USB
    vendor : 0x2087
    product : 0xa01
    version : 273
    name : "Cando Corporation Cando 10.1 Mul"
    phys : "usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0"
    uniq : "20091003.001"
    bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS

lsmod didn't give any matches for "cando", and I took liberty to show those seemingly important for the problem lines:

hid_multitouch 12851 0
    usbhid 41906 1 hid_multitouch
    hid 77367 2 hid_multitouch,usbhid

Beans
    Distro

MadnessRed, many thanks for being ready to help!
    lsinput displayed Cando multitouch nicely:

/dev/input/event10
    bustype : BUS_USB
    vendor : 0x2087
    product : 0xa01
    version : 273
    name : "Cando Corporation Cando 10.1 Mul"
    phys : "usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0"
    uniq : "20091003.001"
    bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS

lsmod didn't give any matches for "cando", and I took liberty to show those seemingly important for the problem lines:

hid_multitouch 12851 0
    usbhid 41906 1 hid_multitouch
    hid 77367 2 hid_multitouch,usbhid

Ok, can you try this, install mtview.
    sudo apt-get install mtview

Then run
    sudo mtview /dev/input/event10
    (it might have changed path, check it is still event10 in xinput)

Alt+f10 to make it full screen and see how many contact points it detects. I think the s10-3t can only do 2.

If that does work, try
    sudo modprobe cando
    and see if mtview works then.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Indeed, mtview has shown two working touch points!

"sudo modprobe cando" gives "module cando not found".

What's the next move?
    Last edited by Boberman; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Indeed, mtview has shown two working touch points!

"sudo modprobe cando" gives "module cando not found".

What's the next move?
    Well it seems that multi-touch is working and being recognised by utouch.

Some apps may already have multi-touch, I think eye of gnome (image viewer) might have pinch to zoom and possibly the ubuntu version of chromium may have some multi-touch stuff as well.

For "non multi-touch aware" applications. You can install a program called ginn (it should be in the software centre). This will recognise multi-touch gestures, like 2 finger scroll or pinching, and convert it to a keyboard shortcut which the applications will understand.

It uses a configuration in a file called wishes.xml which defines a few actions. You can also define your own actions by passing it a custom wishes.xml.

ginn /path/to/wishes.xml

Hope this helps.

Beans

Yes, ginn is installed already. But it looks like it isn't functioning.
    Is there a way to check why ginn ignores default gestures input?

Upd. I've checked ginn's work with a simple command "ginn > g.txt".
    Ginn accepts all touches but somehow cannot identify them! It calculates angles and deltas but every time says "gesture name = unknown". Maybe that's why no "shortcut" happens?

Upd. I think I've found the cause of the problem: ginn was never loaded into the system.
    I've put it into Startup Applications list and it seems working, though far not so well as I expected.
    As I thought the answer turned out to be extremely simple.
    Last edited by Boberman; May 24th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

Beans

Two problems, I need help with, remain.
    1. Single-touch had from the start and still has a strange bug:
    the mouse/touchpad pointer and the touchscreen pointer have different coordinates. It makes using touchscreen rather hard. I cannot "left-click" only "select with a frame", because after touching the screen the "real" pointer is reset to the lower right corner of the screen. Sometimes it appears where it was last time moved with touchpad or mouse. I hoped this bug to be resolved along with multi-touch problem but alas.
    2. Ginn works so badly that one may say it doesn't work at all. Only "Tap" seems to be recognized, "Drag", "Pinch" and "Rotate" are not catched by ginn despite playing with condition numbers in wishes.xls file.
    Maybe I'm obsessed with the idea, but I really want to make my old buddy s10-3t to "live" fully under the marvel of Ubuntu. I got used to work in tablet mode.
    Last edited by Boberman; May 26th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Beans

I tried MeeGo on my S10-3t (just for fun) and it had no problem with single-touch. Maybe that can be solved under Ubuntu? I've searched for the answer but to no avail.

Beans
    Distro

Two problems, I need help with, remain.
    1. Single-touch had from the start and still has a strange bug:
    the mouse/touchpad pointer and the touchscreen pointer have different coordinates. It makes using touchscreen rather hard. I cannot "left-click" only "select with a frame", because after touching the screen the "real" pointer is reset to the lower right corner of the screen. Sometimes it appears where it was last time moved with touchpad or mouse. I hoped this bug to be resolved along with multi-touch problem but alas.
    2. Ginn works so badly that one may say it doesn't work at all. Only "Tap" seems to be recognized, "Drag", "Pinch" and "Rotate" are not catched by ginn despite playing with condition numbers in wishes.xls file.
    Maybe I'm obsessed with the idea, but I really want to make my old buddy s10-3t to "live" fully under the marvel of Ubuntu. I got used to work in tablet mode.
    Hopefully fixing 1 may fix 2.
    Could you try and reinstall xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
    Also, unplug any additional pointing devices.

I tried MeeGo on my S10-3t (just for fun) and it had no problem with single-touch. Maybe that can be solved under Ubuntu? I've searched for the answer but to no avail.
    It should work out of the box.
    Could you try running the live usb and see if single touch works as expected on that. It could be something to do with your setup.

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast