Thread: Just Installed Windows 7...Where's My Ubuntu Partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just Installed Windows 7...Where's My Ubuntu Partition?

Hi, all.

I'm hoping this didn't end up badly. Otherwise I will be sorely disappointed in myself.

I just upgraded from Vista to 7 and made sure to do the Custom jibberjabber so I could manually point out to it to only install 7 on the correct partition (I have a severe distrust for automation). Etc, etc, now I have Windows 7.

On startup, however, I don't have my boot options like I used to...the computer just goes straight into 7. I know I didn't replace my whole system with 7, because the C:/ drive only has ~80GB (which is how much space I left Vista with, my HDD space is 500GB). I'm hoping that Windows just has some stupid ing, monopolizing, evil corporation override that is easily turned off.

Worst case scenario, I just wiped my entire HDD clean. Please, God, let's hope that's not the case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Just Installed Windows 7...Where's My Ubuntu Partition?

Windows 7 most likely overwrote your MBR (Master Boot Record) which is where GRUB is. You will have to reinstall GRUB to be able to access ubuntu again... Let me try to find you the link

Edit: Here >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Wataru8675 View Post
    Hi, all.

I'm hoping this didn't end up badly. Otherwise I will be sorely disappointed in myself.

I just upgraded from Vista to 7 and made sure to do the Custom jibberjabber so I could manually point out to it to only install 7 on the correct partition (I have a severe distrust for automation). Etc, etc, now I have Windows 7.

On startup, however, I don't have my boot options like I used to...the computer just goes straight into 7. I know I didn't replace my whole system with 7, because the C:/ drive only has ~80GB (which is how much space I left Vista with, my HDD space is 500GB). I'm hoping that Windows just has some stupid ing, monopolizing, evil corporation override that is easily turned off.

Worst case scenario, I just wiped my entire HDD clean. Please, God, let's hope that's not the case.
    You didnt.
    I had the same problem.
    boot up using a livecd.
    chroot into your current installation
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdax/ /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub

replace /dev/sdax with your partition.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Just Installed Windows 7...Where's My Ubuntu Partition?

Dear Wataru8675,

You need to boot up with an Ubuntu live disk and then chroot it.

What you did when you installed Microsoft 7 is over-write your grub-loader with microsoft's. Your partitions are still there but the M/soft 1 doesn't see it being a bit thick like . Booting up with a live disk allows you to put the grub back to the way it was.

Put this code in the terminal that is in Applications > accessories > Terminal in the live disk:

sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdax/ /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo chroot /mnt

then type (as above): grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub ,also in the terminal and press enter/return

Hope that helps!

terabyte
    Last edited by terabyte1; February 24th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Terabyte1

Non sibi sed omnibus = "Not for oneself but for all."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you graciously for your swift replies! I just want to make sure of one thing...I'm mounting the partition that I boot from, correct? I mean, that only makes sense...but do I have to do my /home partition, too? Or will that be taken care of after I boot from /?

ALSO. I just got an announcement from my LiveCD terminal that bash command "--bind" was not found...

ALSO2. In the first post's walkthrough (at help.ubuntu.com), my LiveCD doesn't seem to want to mount any volumes......

ALSO3. If anyone's actually following my edits, I tried mounting my /home partition instead...... Seems to be working now. I'll let you know after reboot. *crosses fingers*

Aha. Worked. Thank you folks. =3
    Last edited by Wataru8675; February 25th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Beans

Wataru,

I just had the same problem yesterday, the windows install on my wife's computer needed a repair install, which wiped out grub.
    I used this guide to get it back.

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/...r-windows.html

It worked without a hitch for me. It tells you what to do if you get an error like you did as well.