Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke VLC =(

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I broke VLC =(

I've been messing with customizing my desktop appearance, so I installed docky and compizconfig-settings-manager. I then decided to remove docky and try awn, then removed it and put cairo-dock. After all this, VLC stopped working (When I open it on it's own, it works fine, if I try to play a video, it crashes). I've tried removing cairo-dock, setting visual effects to none, purging both vlc and ubuntu-restricted-extras and reinstalling. None of this has helped, does anyone have any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: I broke VLC =(

Hi Ozymandias_117,

I have no clue at all; however, your helping other Forum members has not gone unnoticed - so here is a bump.

My regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What graphic card do you have? and which driver do you have installed?

You could always try and compile VLC yourself.

here is the source : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html

and here the compile instructions : http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile

and here you have a link to build from git: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/how-t...om-git-in.html
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried opening it in the terminal? Open Applications > Accessories > Terminal, type vlc and press enter. Then open your video as usual. What errors do you get?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@bruno9779 ATI Radeon HD 4770 I downloaded their drivers from their site and installed them. I haven't tried compiling, but since it worked beforehand, wouldn't the problem be elsewhere?

@durand vlc will open just fine, only problem is, it won't play anything. It doesn't give any error messages, just closes whenever I try to start a video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try vlc --verbose 2 maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think durand is right, try to run it from terminal. Your choice of the dock you use shouldn't break VLC.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could this be anything?

Code:
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-30251), dropping buffer
    [0x31946d8] pulse audio output debug: Pulse stream started
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (121093)
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: audio drift is too big (121092), dropping buffer
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: buffer is 97872 late, triggering upsampling
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (41025)
    [0x31946d8] main audio output warning: audio drift is too big (138556), dropping buffer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Er... Nevermind... I still don't know what had caused the problem but apparently all I had to do to fix it was reboot... lol. Somehow I forgot that simple trick to fix 90% of computer problems... Sorry for wasting your time =\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: I broke VLC =(

I suggest that you go into your system> administration> Synaptic Package Manager and type 'VLC' (without the quote marks) into the seach bar which is near the top of the Synaptic Package Manager(SPM) Box on the extreme right. (It is vertically oblong and has a 'V' in it), click on this box and type in VLC and click on search. When you find the VLC program, if the box next to it has a tick in it already, remove it and hit apply. Then when the SPM completes, do the search again as above, and put a tick in the box next to it, then hit apply at the top of the SPM.

What you have affectively done is unloaded VLC. Then re-loaded VLC in a fresh space. You should find that it will now work.

Cheers!

terabyte1
    Terabyte1

Non sibi sed omnibus = "Not for oneself but for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast