Thread: "Open containing folder" in Firefox doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"Open containing folder" in Firefox doesn't work

Lately I've noticed that the "open containing folder" right-click menu item doesn't work in Firefox 3.6. It does nothing. That action used to open Nautilus, showing the folder where the file had been downloaded.

What gives? I set up Firefox long ago to call Nautilus when asked to open a folder. Shouldn't Firefox be asking me what app to use, if it weren't set up properly?

Beans
    Distro

Re: "Open containing folder" in Firefox doesn't work

Anyone? Bueller?

I can't believe something so simple is broken. Isn't there any way to fix it?

Beans
    Distro

I know I'm not the only one having this problem. The standard fix* doesn't work. There must be some other way.

*Usually you see suggestions to manually create Booleans and strings in Firefox's "about:config" page, which supposedly tell Firefox to launch Nautilus when you try to open something from the Tools->Downloads window. I did that weeks ago, but it had no effect on the problem. I can't open things I just downloaded, or the folder they're in, from the Downloads window. It's very annoying.
    Samsung Series 3 15.6" notebook (NP300-V5A-A02US)

Beans
    Distro

Last night, I noticed that this problem does NOT exist, running Firefox or Swiftfox under Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on my Aspire One. Nautilus opens, as it should, in the circumstances described above.

Is this bug possibly unique to Ubuntuzilla-installed versions of Firefox? I don't see why it would be, but then that's why it's a bug.

I'm really, really tired of talking to myself here. Hasn't someone else had this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The about:config settings suggested on other forum posts doesn't work here either. You need to go to Applications tab in Firefox Preferences, then browse the "file" content type, then click the corresponding action menu, select "Use other", browse /usr/bin/nautilus.

I don't think is an Ubuntuzilla bug, since the same problem happens here with Firefox 3.6 from the firefox-stable ppa and with the binaries downloaded from Mozilla site.

Beans
    Distro

That worked! THANKS!

Beans

Thank you, this fixed the problem for me in Kubuntu 9.10 as well (obviously, setting the target to dolphin rather than nautilus).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you lovinglinux, you cylons really ARE helpful (Your advice fixed a similar problem for me.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alexxroche View Post
    Thank you lovinglinux, you cylons really ARE helpful (Your advice fixed a similar problem for me.)
    You are welcome.