Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor set up? dialog-box too big for screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Monitor set up? dialog-box too big for screen

I have 9.10. I just upgraded from 9.04
    This is not a new problem but since I can use the system anyway and I didnt quite know how to describe it I've let it go.

What happens: I am upgrading and there is window that comes up to tell me what is going on. I clicked on >Terminal so I can have something to watch as the process goes by.

When it comes up it is too big for the screen. I cant see the bottom of the window. This is not an isolated occurrence.

PS: and below, I am putting in tags, and UF makes suggestions for the tag, I cant see the suggestions because they go below the screen.

This is a Dell monitor, Ultrascan P991. It's about a 20" I think.

Thanks.

And while you wait....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Monitor set up? dialog-box too big for screen

Might want to mess around with the resolution settings. Go to System>Preferences>Display and you should be able to change the settings of the monitor resolution. That should work. Hope that helps!

Beans

Beans

if you can't change the resolution, open a terminal and run
    Code:
    lspci
    and post the info here so we can see what video card you have.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Another thing you might want to check is allocated video memory in the BIOS (if this is on-board graphics card), go in BIOS and change it to max, for me it was 8 MB, I found this to be the problem when all the regular methods failed.
    Ignorance is the parent of fear . . . MobyDick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can move windows around by holding down Alt and dragging them. Looks like your screen resolution needs some tweaking.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    Might want to mess around with the resolution settings. Go to System>Preferences>Display and you should be able to change the settings of the monitor resolution. That should work. Hope that helps!
    Want you to know I tried that. I'm on a different (smaller physically) monitor for a while. It gives me a higher resolution.

I'll try the rest later. Thanks for the responses.

Just another penguin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You can move windows around by holding down Alt and dragging them. Looks like your screen resolution needs some tweaking.

AU CONTRAIRE: (as if I didnt know how to grab the top line of a window)
    I cant move a dialog box that is "bigger than my screen". For example, the Preferences box in XCHAT. I cannot OK it.
    Last edited by penguinv; February 28th, 2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by halitech View Post
    if you can't change the resolution, open a terminal and run
    Code:
    lspci
    and post the info here so we can see what video card you have.
    Thanks for the good words _but I DO want to hear a solution_
    lulz

OK here's the output of that command:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237/VX700 PCI Bridge
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome] (rev 01)

NOTE: this other monitor _also a Dell, maybe a 13" gets a higher resolution, 1024 x 768. (Recall the 20" Dell gets bigger text, a smaller resolution and dialog boxes get too big to see the whole window (of the dialog box).)

(I am still learning to post better. I should have posted the max-resolution and that I had already tried going to
    System> Preferences> Display
    before I posted.
    Thanks again for your patience.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by penguinv View Post
    AU CONTRAIRE: (as if I didnt know how to grab the top line of a window)
    I'm not talking about the titlebar of the window. You hold down Alt and drag the contents of the window itself. It has always worked for me. And unlike dragging the titlebar, you can drag the window so far upwards that the titlebar is off the screen. This may help you get to the OK button at the bottom of the window.

Alt-dragging is an essential skill for netbook owners.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast