Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

All Dell has to do is say they are making sure thier box works with what ever distribution is most popular (example: based on distrowatch.) What's the big deal?

I agree with poster who said Dell simply needs to make sure drivers are available. they don't even have to provide them. Just stop with the crappy chipsets from companies aligned with Microsoft and all is well.

Provide a darn WiFi device that has know native Ubuntu support ans everything is automatic.

Dell does even really have to install software such as ubuntu but provide a CD or point to where one can get it free.

If you have known hardware minus Microsoft trick then put in the CD and your good. It's not like your going to have a hardware suprise, the model is approved.

Then all manner of free internet site would provide help with that specific combo of ubuntu and thet model hardware.

This model and idea should take like wild fire because.

1. It's a cool ides the marketing guy can push.

2, You save money. Mass production with branding and no software production costs.

3. Dell(or and major provider) is completely at their option as to whether they want to take other monies for personal support. It could be a sub-company for those people who beg for it. Meanwhile back in the real world, free online support for POPULAR distribution is excellent RIGHT NOW.

In summary. a popular/mass-market branded box that has OPEN devices/chipsets, already freely supported and then combined with the most popular open software system/distribution is a win for everyone!

There is no problem with Dell "choosing" a distribution because and besides the fact they don't have to install and support it, if they did, they are simply going with the popular USERS choice and this could even change with no problem.

Welcome to the future!

P.S. The problem is, Dell have been aligned with Microsoft no matter what He says and if h does this it WILL **** off Microsoft. Why does it have to be Dell then? Any major hardware provider is missing this opportunity. Just get out from under Microsoft!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It would seem like if you picked one distro (say, Ubuntu) and provided driver discs for it, there would be very little complaining. Who is virtually the only group of people that wold care what distro was on there? Why, those of us who already reformat computers when we get them to put Linux on there, of course. I honestly believe most people would be happy just to have it boot linux (and to have drivers for it). Personally, I would buy one that ran RedHat, and not complain that it was ubuntu, since I can easily reinstall with no concerns about the hardware working or not.

Hey, they could even pay Canonical to make them their own distro. Just replace all the ubuntu artwork with Dell artwork, and they suddenly have Dell Linux (Powered by Ubuntu). I can see the marketing even now, and if hey play there cards right, it could be a real coup. Just my two cents.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's all an excuse.

If Dell announced, "We're selling Linux-preloaded top-of-the-line desktops and notebooks that will be displayed prominently on our website," most Linux users wouldn't give two s**ts what distro was on there.

Sure, there'd be a thread on LinuxQuestions and a page in Slashdot about "Why the hell would Dell pick _______?" but most people would be so glad that it wouldn't matter.

Dell could pick Slackware, and you'd still see celebration in the Ubuntu community. People would buy their Slackware Dells and just install Ubuntu over it.

Even users who wouldn't buy Dell because they think of themselves as anti-establishment or whatever would still feel the positive effects of that move, as it would put pressure on HP and other vendors to provide these Linux computers as well, and more third-party hardware and software support would likely be on its way. Certainly there'd be more mainstream press about Linux.

... or Dell could end up bankrupt.
    Last edited by aysiu; March 11th, 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

^
    Bingo. And it's not like average *nix user really sticks with a distro permanently. Unless they're a developer for a particular distro or something related.

Beans

I think it's time someone submitted these ideas to desktoplinux.com as an article, digg it on digg.com, and wait for any response... I'd do it, but I don't want a huge company in my tail seeking for compensation... (reference to corporate america )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Michael Dell is a marketer, as is Bill Gates. Neither one of them comes up with the technology. Why do we sit here and think that they have done something wonderful when reality says that they just coordinated. I have met online, in the form of tutorials, some of the brightest minds of our age. Who is our marketer? Our code makes us a force to be reckoned with and that alone has made an impact on how the world works. Find me an ethernet card that says on the box that it works with all major operating systems and look inside at the directions and what do you see? Instructions for all of the versions of windows back to 98. Why is there this dichotomy when it comes to hardware and software? I develop, I build devices. Why can't I be the one to make this happen? Money. How did Ubuntu get the ability to send us free cd's? Sponsorship. Hmmm...

Sorry if this makes me sound like a smart***, I am.
    Last edited by mstlyevil; March 12th, 2006 at 04:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Liquibyte
    Michael Dell is a marketer, as is Bill Gates. Neither one of them comes up with the technology. Why do we sit here and think that they have done something wonderful when reality says that they just coordinated. I have met online, in the form of tutorials, some of the brightest minds of our age. Who is our marketer? Our code makes us a force to be reckoned with and that alone has made an impact on how the world works. Find me an ethernet card that says on the box that it works with all major operating systems and look inside at the directions and what do you see? Instructions for all of the versions of windows back to 98. Why is there this dichotomy when it comes to hardware and software? I develop, I build devices. Why can't I be the one to make this happen? Money. How did Ubuntu get the ability to send us free cd's? Sponsorship. Hmmm...

Sorry if this makes me sound like a smartass, I am.
    You may be a smart *** but your comment on money is legit IMHO.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

If they provided a base installation of a distro (with a plethora of options for this, all of which would only fit into a few different categories for how they would handle install discs for drivers and software... anyway.) they could include a disc for installing specific hardware drivers and software (ATI drivers and toold for example.) Simply. And they could stick to their newb friendly roots by greating a nice visual for this. For example... the Ubuntu up and ready disk could inclue a nice installer menu for all of their software. And, a custom made graphical deb installer (Unless they just run with gdebi in this case but who knows.) It would be GREAT for anyone. I know I was lucky having my inspiron 5100 pretty much supported out of the box (other than the winmodem but after some newb searches (which I SO was at the time.) I got slmodemD in and such.) Now... even if they don't want to take the linux plunge which... form a purely worried dell-bot standpoint is a some what acceptable excuse. They still could explain ways to get their hardware working on a deb or rpm based distro. then let the community run with the specifics. Personally I would step back with a smile knowing future converts who start off clueless like I did would be happy. The first few excuses on the list of anyone not wanting to switch to linux is based on Hardware, Software (having to use the command line and so on,) or simply they are to complacent with the ignorance of their windows installation. Now... Ubuntu is lessening that gap with the upcoming release of dapper, including gdebi and all the tools we allready have within STOCK not much searching involved even if your hardware happens to not be located or communicable (excluding of course the sum of hardware with issues which have arisen.) Anyway I digress, my point is to you dell... who probably isn't reading. You dont need to ship with linux software.. just make your computers more linux friendly by offering more how to's and compatible hardware... it's not that hard really... you wont lose any money just add a little graphic on some computer pages with a happy little penguin saying "Hey, I fit in here." That would do so much for EVERYONE. After all we buy your computers and are starting to realize that in this day maybe your not the best solution for (wow wait a minute... just watched something on tv a replay of the '98 computer convention and bill getting a blue screen demonstrating win98 AHAHAHA...) *cough* computer sales. Just realize... not just newbs by your computers... complete geeks sometimes appreciate you too. So toss us some scraps and help us out! That's all. Sorry to rant.

Beans
    Distro

There's been some cynical questions about this i've seen posted on /. about the possible real reasons Dell won't promote linux on their desktops.

Is there a Majority Shareholder keeping Linux support at the lip service level?
    Or, do Dell's executives own Massive Stacks of certain stock?
    Maybe Somebody would be Mighty Sore at Mr. Dell if he Mustered Sufficient courage to Make Significant choice available to people.
    Ah, Monopolistic Speculation: gotta love it.

Beans

It doesn't matter which distro they chose, because all others would quickly become compatible with the drivers offered by these machines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast